Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaders... Tippet...  (Read 3760 times)

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
Leaders... Tippet...
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »

I'm brand new to fly fishing... like so new I don't even have line on my newly bought fly combo. So here's my first question relating to gear, are a leader and a tippet the same thing just called by two different names? If so, can you use normal fluorocarbon line (ie the same stuff you would use as a leader on a float drift setup) for leader material on a fly setup? Thanks in advance.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Leaders... Tippet...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

I'm brand new to fly fishing... like so new I don't even have line on my newly bought fly combo. So here's my first question relating to gear, are a leader and a tippet the same thing just called by two different names? If so, can you use normal fluorocarbon line (ie the same stuff you would use as a leader on a float drift setup) for leader material on a fly setup? Thanks in advance.

The answer to the first question is no.  The "leader" is the main part of the leader in a fly set up and is attached to the fly line (use an albright knot), usually three to six feet for sinking lines and up to 20 feet if you are sinking weighted chironomids or halfbacks under floating lines and strike indicators off the bottom of stillwaters.  The "tippet" is the end of the leader and is attached to the fly, usually a couple of feet in length and a couple of pounds lighter than the leader.  The purpose of the tippet is to prolong the life of the leader which can be more expensive if you use the tapered variety.  If you use the straight mono like I do then the stepping down in size of the tippet gives you the same effect as the tapered leader and improved the turn over of the fly during the presentation.  The answer to the second question is yes, although you may find the thinner flourocarbon bites into the plastic coating more than a mono like Ultragreen.  I use 10 pound Ultragreen for the leader and then use a flourocarbon a few pounds lighter for tippet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:46:25 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »

Flouro also sinks more then mono so I wouldn't use it for a dry fly apaplication

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »

Is there a benefit to the leader being tapered?
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »

If the fish is too big,and you have a lighter tippet than leader, hopefully all that will break is your tippet and you will still have your leader and everything on it.
Someone was here

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:29:01 PM »

The tapered leader used to help the fly to "turn over".  So imagine the unrolling of the line in the air.  As the loop straightens out, you want the fly to continue in it's path and land with the leader fully unrolled.  With weighted flies you know it will turn over due to the weight of the fly, so no tapering of the leader is required.  With un-weighted flies you need that help in order for the fly to turn over.  If it doesn't turn over it could end up in a heap or landing on itself which will could tangle the leader. 

Most guys I know will tie there own leaders by simply stepping down mono weights, 12lbs, 8lbs, 4lbs  or something along those lines.  MUCH cheaper :)

adecadelost

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 11:03:02 AM »

Yes as stated the leader is generally tapered which helps transfer the energy of the fly line all the way to the fly. 
This is the same reason your flyline is tapered at the front.
You can buy tapered leaders or make your own as described by Clarki hunter.
Both have their advantages.

As for the use of floro it can be used for flyfishing.
In fact it can often be an advantage to use floro when dryfly fishing.
Mono can often hang on the waters surface film which leaves a tell tale sign for wary trout, especially in clear water.
The floro will break below the surface and not show on the water surface.
The key however is using light enough mono in your tippet so it doesn't drag your fly under.
If using mono in a dry fly aplication it's often a good idea to de-grease the tippet near the fly line. (just rub a little mud on the line) this helps it break the surface film and stay invisible.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »

to add to the pretty good answers you've gotten on this -  it's not necessary to use a tapered leader if the leader is short. For sinking lines/ sink tip lines I often use just 4 to 6 feet of tippet material. Lot's of anglers do. I have also known guys who use a single piece of about 10 feet when fishing chironomids or other wet flies.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.