Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano and Seymour Steelhead Awareness  (Read 5679 times)

FishingFitz

Capilano and Seymour Steelhead Awareness
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »

I frequently fish the Capilano and Seymour river, and today on a quick trip to the capilano i was disgusted to see a man throw a summer run on the beach, handling it horribly, picking it up and dropping it on the beach. No care for the fish at all, supposedly tryed to put it in his backpack I heard from someone. Someone on the river went and gave him a strong word and as i understand he put it back in the water and the last thing i heard was it barely revived... The Steelhead runs on both rivers are very delicate and I just wanted to re-remind everyone that all hatchery and wild fish must be released with care. It is a great run of summer steelhead so far this year and very important to keep it that way. I've run into a few out-of-towners that dont know how to identify the steelhead and if you see this happening i think it would be good to politely inform them of the steelhead conservation situation so they know for future.

Cheers everyone and happy fishing.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Re: Capilano and Seymour Steelhead Awareness
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:13:16 PM »

I was there, Are you the guy I gave some roe to?
Fish on!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »

That's so very sad to hear FishingFitz and one would have to assume that if he tried to put it into his backpack then he must of known what species it was and that it would be illegal to keep it. Ergo; Maybe if I can hide it quick enough no one will notice or have the juice to say anything. I mean how many people don't clean their fish before they bag it. It sure sounds (sorry for the pun) fishy to me.

I'm glad someone talked to him and persuaded him to put the fish back where it belongs, but so sad there are people that have zero respect for their integrity or the world around them. Disappointing to read this.

FishingFitz

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »

No i wasnt the one you gave roe to, and yes its a very sad story.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »

although it is the responsibility of the angler to know the rules and regulations of each fishery they choose to fish, it would be a good idea that the capilano park management place multiple signs in all areas stating all steelhead must be released and handled with care along with some real photographs of the different species to assist in identifying the species. Just a thought...

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »

although it is the responsibility of the angler to know the rules and regulations of each fishery they choose to fish, it would be a good idea that the capilano park management place multiple signs in all areas stating all steelhead must be released and handled with care along with some real photographs of the different species to assist in identifying the species. Just a thought...
I saw a couple of signs posted by the Seymour Steelhead Society with photograhs, the last 2 times I was on the Cap.  Signs can't stop greedy meat poachers.

Bandit420

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:47:48 AM »

There are lots of signs on identifying salmonid species and regulations at the cap
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »

There are lots of signs on identifying salmonid species and regulations at the cap

But still there are a lot of guys doesn't care or learn how to i.d. those fish.

Old Blue

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »

A gentleman from the hatchery put ID signs up a few weeks ago in a few spots, had a great chat with him.  There may be more steelhead than in recent years but the run is still very much in trouble.  They had 8 return to the hatchery last year and 7 of those were lost Seymour fish....go figure eh.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »

Maybe the Cap steelhead went to the Seymour :)

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 06:05:13 AM »

Seen three steelhead caught and released at the Cap lately.Numerous stories of others this year.The word seems to be getting out and taking hold.
Riverman

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »

There where lots of signs around the river which was nice. Yes there seems to be lots of them this year. Even saw a few hanging out in some pools yesterday.

kalex60

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »

There should be a test for licensing to make sure people can identify their fish I have seen too many steelhead killed mistaken for coho in the cap and sockeye killed in the chilliwack mistaken for coho

FishingFitz

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »

I was fishing cap today, caught a nice summer run and then released it. One guy asked me if I needed to borrow his 'fish bonker', and another guy went nuts when I released it. "WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR! I WOULDA KEPT IT IF YOU WERENT GOING TO!" "Dude, its a steelhead... non retainable."

C'mon people, if you dont know the regulations, what the hell are you doing on the river?

Bandit420

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »

Cable pool makes me sick everytime I go by there
If you're not fishing, you're not living!