Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Float fishing roe?  (Read 5839 times)

gipetron

Float fishing roe?
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »

I was out float fishing with roe on the cap the other day and noticed that the roe seemed to be floating up a bit putting slack in the leader. I'm new to this style of fishing and am wondering if this is normal or is there something I should be doing differently? My setup was bobber stops, float, hollow pencil lead, swivel, then 18 inch leader.

cohoaaron

Re: Float fishing roe?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:15:59 PM »

I was out float fishing with roe on the cap the other day and noticed that the roe seemed to be floating up a bit putting slack in the leader. I'm new to this style of fishing and am wondering if this is normal or is there something I should be doing differently? My setup was bobber stops, float, hollow pencil lead, swivel, then 18 inch leader.
you are doing everything correct. Ya just let the roe do what it would naturally. If you want to get into a faster deeper hole though you might want to add a very small split shot right above your hook (thats worked for me in the past)
Actually, an 18 inch leader is a little long. Try 13-16  inches
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:18:20 PM by cohoaaron »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »

It's pretty normal for roe to float up slightly, especially if there is quite a bit of current in the drift. This is why most of the time, there is a slight delay on the float take-down when the fish bites. The fish bites, the float will only go down after it drifts past your roe. There are a few things you can do to make sure you don't miss your bites. Shorten up the leader some more. 18 inches is already quite short, but I go down to 12 inches or less a lot of times so my float can have more direct contact with the bait. Lengthen your float depth a bit more if you feel that it is not reaching the depth where the fish would bite.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »

Hold back on that drift abit, and get that bait drifting ahead of your gear and in the zone. Also give you less slack and a quicker hook set.
The Bigger The Better!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »

salmonpirate, you do seem to know a bit about fishing, and as I mentioned previously I would like to drink a beer with you - but as I'm on a fixed income you'll be a buyin boyee!  Yarrghhhh!

I would like to hear the 'pirates take and comments on more controversial subjects, things like fish farms, pipelines and IPP's.
What say yee?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »

Blimey ya daft Pirate! The lad asks a simple question and you be going on and on! You canna be saying " fish with confidence "Like it be pushing a button! Confidence in fishing be earned through time and experience alone!
Fish on!

firebird

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »

Seems the pirate's lingo is contagious  :D. My two cents worth ... in faster, shallower water, shorten the lead as Rodney noted - I've caught fish with as little as 6 inches between lead and bait. In slow, deep pools, you can increase the length between lead and bait to as much as 2 ft or more. It does seem to help to use lighter leaders for summer coho when the water gets lower and clearer ... 8 lb or 6 lb even. I actually used to use 4 in dead summer low but you need some skills to be able to beach 'em. Yo ho ho!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:02:49 AM »

Hold back on that drift abit, and get that bait drifting ahead of your gear and in the zone. Also give you less slack and a quicker hook set.

Saw this video the other day related to this ^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ZXTAkpHns&feature=related

Looks like a set-up worth trying.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »

Yes that setup will work. But you just need to keep in mind to match your weight to the speed of water your fishing or you wont stay down.
The Bigger The Better!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »

Another tip, whenever possible I watch the bait, not the float. In slower flows those coho will mouth your roe and then spit it out without so much as a wiggle to your float.
Fish on!

gipetron

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »

Thanks for all the tips. I was mostly wondering about missing bites due to that slack in the leader from the roe floating up. Having never used roe before I didn't know if that was the norm or not. I think even a pirate gets confidence by having success and or knowing he's using a good method, just making sure I wasn't going to be drifting aimlessly in the doldrums ;D