Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any boaters have outboard trouble because of E-10 in the fuel ???  (Read 5007 times)

arimaBOATER

Went boating last Sunday with a chap down the block from our house & noticed the outboard was really "missing" a lot.
Assumed it could be carb troubles but another person sujj. it could be water in the fuel tank.
E-10 in the fuel attracts moisture.
Thus boat fuel stored over the winter could attract moisture thus an outboard will sputter alot.
If the problem is because of E-10 fuel guess the Stabil fuel stablizer that I added was not the proper amount.
(should of added more)

One website mentioned that Chevron gas stations in BC selling the 94 octane has zero E-10 thus it would be a good fuel for outboards.

Of course airplane fuel also has zero E-10  ( ethanol 10 % added to fuel )
We passengers do not want a planes props " missing" because of water in fuel.

777fishing

Re: Any boaters have outboard trouble because of E-10 in the fuel ???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »

There are no additives that stops E10 from taking in water.(Many outboard company's/ engine company's have showed this over and over in lab studies) 

This is a good thing that E10 can take in water(stops a lot of water related issues). When you start to have a issue is when there is too much water for it to absorb anymore. (Temp plays a role in the amount of water E10 can pull in). Once E10 has too much water it will faze separate, once this has happened there is no way to reverse it.  The gas is now useless and your tank needs to be pumped out and cleaned (fuel will look hazy/cloudy etc.)  Gas without E10 will just have a layer of water in the tank. Most of the time this would not cause much of an issue. 

An issue might come up if you have been using non E10 and you build up a large water layer in your tank. (Large boats etc).  Once you add the E10 to your tank it may be too much water for it to take in and it will faze separate. Also if your tank has an opening for water to get into it somehow this can cause the same issue. 

E10 fuel has been around for years and years, it's really nothing new at all. E10 is good fuel to use.
(Most people are using E10 right now without even knowing that they are)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:41:20 AM »

I bought a Suzuki 2.5 hp 4 stroke in 2006. The next year when starting it up I noticed it ran like poop. Still under warrenty I decided to bring it back to where I bought it. I always use stabilizer in my fuel and the motor had been run dry before storing it. Thinking that either the fuel I had been using or some sort of design flaw had been the cause of the problem. They told me that sometimes you just luck out and get a bum deal for not using the "right " gas. Now after several years the problem still comes back. I did bring it back to them once more and got the same goofy responce. I then just did the carb cleaning myself.

After some research on the net it turns out there is lots of people with the same problem with their Suzuki and Mercury motors. It comes from having the wrong size jet in the carberator. I strongly suggust that you do some research on what kind of problems a motor can have before buying them. Some are fuel related. I think 2006 was the first year for my outboard and 2016 will be when I return it to the dealer by throwing it through his front window.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »

The fuel looks clear (777fishing ya mention about "cloudy looking" fuel)

There is a product called Sea Foam ( can buy at Lordco & assume at Canadian Tire ) that can treat 30 - 90 liters of fuel.

Person can use it regularly or for sometimes treatment.
Cleans carbs / injectors etc.
Some boaters add it every time they fill up their portables or main gas tank. Sells for $10.

From what I've heard lately boaters swear by the product.
Troutbreath maybe this product will help.
The next time we go boating ( hopefully within a week or two ) I'll report findings.

5 years with zero problems with our 40 hp 4 stroke Yamaha but this year ...it really sputters & misses.
Do not want to be at Sandheads at tide change & engine stops & have to fight current with a 4 hp kicker  :o

Do remember a young guy with his wife who had a nice looking 24 ft boat .
He said the boat would run fine then the engine would stop at higher speeds.
( inboard engine) he had the boat at shops to trouble shoot.
Did things to engine & cleaned out the fuel tank etc.

Then at the launch after all this he told me the problem was still the same !!!
Boat worked good only at low speed.

A few wks later seen him & his gal at the launch with a dif boat.
He sold out of frustration.

Shop rates are $85 to over $100  >:(

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:07:23 PM by A-BOATER »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »

Thanks A Boater, I'll try the Sea Foam now that I've cleaned my carb again.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Butch1949

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »

You might want to check the timing too!
"I don't catch fish"

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »

Had to get the 3 carbs on my outboard cleaned because of the ethanol issue.

When we opened up the carbs, the bowls were half full of water.

Only going to use Supreme gas from now on (no ethanol).

lovetofish

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »

Only going to use Supreme gas from now on (no ethanol).

This is what I was told to use by my boat mechanic for the same reason.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »

If yous do a web search in search engine ( google ) something like say:  E 10 problems for outboards  or something like that ...there is lots of info to be had.

By the way " thanks for all the advice " etc.  & interesting posts :)
 ( check timing )

Gave like 35 - 40 liters of old fuel away to a chap who will use it in his pressure washer/lawn mower etc.
Refilled portables with 94 octane yesterday. Like 14 cents more per liter  :o

There  is a very good product called Mr Funnel .
It is a regular funnel but it has a filter that will stop water & debris & will just allow good fuel to exit.

To my surprize if you went to West Marine ( boating supply store) they sell a fuel funnel with the words on the box : West Marine Fuel Filter Funnel but there is a very very very small logo that says : Mr Funnel registered trademark of Mr Funnel Inc.

If ya buy this funnel use it with the gas that was bought from the gas station.  In other words do not add in Stabil fuel stablizer in the gas & then put it thru the funnel.

The fuel that ya got from the gas station either cheap fuel or supreme can go thru this funnel .
After the fuel is screened & water & debris is trapped ...now ya can add in Stabil in your portable or fuel tank.
If one adds additives to ones gas & then puts it through the Mr Funnel ,it will not filter properly.

The reason why one can put even supreme gas thru this funnel ( no e-10 in supreme gas) is because many gas stations have cracks in their main under ground tanks & dirt / water gets into the gas that way as well.

Good safe guard so highly sujjest to order a filter funnel on line from Mr Funnel or go to West Marine ( near #3 & Bridgeport Richmond ) & buy one there.

Lucky for me only 14 minute drive from my house .
Hey now with supreme gas / then put thru this Mr Funnel/ then will add in Stabil & Sea Foam ....the outboard better purr !!!!!on the next outting. ;D

Butch1949

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »

How much for Mr. Funnel? :-\
"I don't catch fish"

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 02:15:35 AM »

Aprox $36.00 for the larger size one.
2 sizes.

Some will literally use the funnel even when fueling their veicles at the gas station.
There will be some liq in the slump ( water & debris) so after fueling one's veicle a person has to get rid of it.
Some have a portable fuel container & use a normal funnel to put the slump waste in.

Turn the Mr Funnel or West Marine Fuel Funnel ( same product ) up side down & tap it.
The waste in the slump will exit the funnel.

As for me I will not use Mr Funnel at the gas station but rather will fill my boat gas portables & bring it home & then pour the fuel thru the filter funnel into other empty fuel portables.
Then I will add in fuel stablizer into the gas.

Net result will be fuel that will be used for the outboard that should have no water or dirt in it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:17:48 AM by A-BOATER »

Sam6140

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 03:47:36 AM »

Shell Gas Station's 91 Octane has no Ethanol.    That's why I always get gas for my car there.  Noticeable power and fuel economy loss with ethanol blended gasoline in any vehicle.

mbowers

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:08:02 AM »

Lots of problems with E10.  Using a fuel that takes in water might be good if there's only a little water around but on a boat there is usually a LOT of water around.  With an open vent fuel system water can always get into the fuel.  E10 will cost you 10% in fuel economy, power and RANGE.  There might be gas stations every few km on the road but they are few and far between on the water.

Stay away from it if you can!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »

link to petrocan on fuels

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuelsavings/143.aspx?__utma=1.695324720.1340057070.1340057070.1340057070.1&__utmb=1.5.10.1340057070&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1340057070.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=239250819&__utma=1.695324720.1340057070.1340057070.1340057070.1&__utmb=1.5.10.1340057070&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1340057070.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=239250819
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sam6140

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »

Ethanol is one of the biggest and rather recent scams.  It has been "federally mandated" in Canada & the U.S.   Obviously the oil companies paid the govn'ts to put in this mandate requiring all fuel to have at least 5% ethanol, and it's usually closer to 10%.  The excuse we hear? Oh it's better for the environment.

When ethanol is blended with gasoline, it is cost saving to ONLY the oil companies (cutting the product with an inferior product), and provides lower fuel economy (therefore you have to buy more, and consume more), therefore it only ads more $$$ in the pockets of the oil companies.  Again, it saves the oil companies money, and cost you more.  And then we see a huge increase in gas prices over the last few years on top of that.  WOW!  It is complete bs.  It also said to be destructive to the fuel systems and engines in general over time (more profits to the car manufacturers and parts companies).