Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inflatable pfd's  (Read 5343 times)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
inflatable pfd's
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »

ok...what is every one wearing ? I was thinking of versatility of use on the river and in the boat ! theirs a better chance of me wearing something i'm comfortable and get use wearing all the time !

I was looking at the mustang's mit 35 ! auto inflate or manual ???

http://www.stevestonmarine.com/product_detail.php?id=36514&page=5

Dogbreath

Re: inflatable pfd's
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »

If you buy from the store as linked you'll overpay-and I should know.

rjs

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »

ok... were the best place to buy  ?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »

I use the same one Canso just posted a link to.

Mustang HIT auto inflate

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »

Berrys Bait And  Tackle , in Richmond
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

777fishing

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »

A automatic Inflatable Vest is the way to go for a few bucks more... If you pass out or hit your head and are out of it for whatever reason; at least you are floating.  Once you get in the habit of using it you forget you have it on. ;)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »

I bought one at Steveston marine.  At the store I think I paid around 200 bucks for the auto inflate model.  I like it.  I did a bit of research to see if Cabellas or Bass Pro Shop sold a vest with fishing pockets etc incorporated into it.  They do, but they are not approved and therefor not a legal PFD in Canada.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

I bought one at Steveston marine.  At the store I think I paid around 200 bucks for the auto inflate model.  I like it.  I did a bit of research to see if Cabellas or Bass Pro Shop sold a vest with fishing pockets etc incorporated into it.  They do, but they are not approved and therefor not a legal PFD in Canada.

I've heard that the auto inflate models will occasionally inflate if used during a down pour. That's why I went with the manual, pull the lever type. Just have to be careful that I don't pass out before I fall in.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »

I've heard that the auto inflate models will occasionally inflate if used during a down pour. That's why I went with the manual, pull the lever type. Just have to be careful that I don't pass out before I fall in.....

That was sometimes the case with MIT models. They have a tablet that dissolves in water which sets it off. Sometimes in heavy rain or wet bottom of a boat, they can go off prematurely.

The newer HIT models have to be submersed in 4" of water to inflate. A little more money but no need to worry about it going off in wet conditions, and nice to know if you can't get to the chord it will go off if you go overboard with the autoinflate.

Also incase anyone wasn't aware, if you have an inflateable PFD on your boat but are not wearing it, it does not count as having a life jacket on board if you get checked. It has to be worn to count.

rjs

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

Thanks for all the advice !!! :)

Stillwaters

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »

PFD's are not designed to keep your head out of water if you are unconscious.  You need a Life Jacket for that.  So the auto inflate is kind of a false security blanket, but I'm sure it will increase your chances of survival even if you are unconscious.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Keep in mind that you have to be wearing your inflatable PFD all the time you are on the water.

Not too big a deal on the Fraser but I found that wearing it in warm weather while trout fishing, it got a little uncomfortable.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »

I find myself more likely to wear them than the other life jackets because they are more comfortable.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

obie1fish

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »

Ok, here's a query- I'm a big guy- 52 inch chest. Are there any out there that can be worn over my rain gear and a couple of layers of clothing? Haven't seen any myself.