Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-Open Cohen for Hearings  (Read 5011 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re-Open Cohen for Hearings
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »

Denied.

Sorry About the sideways PDF

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Re-Open Cohen for Hearings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

Thank goodness for common sense.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:32 PM »

I agree....thank goodness for common sense.  Justice Cohen said it best in Section #20:

Unlike a court which has a permanent existance a commission of inquiry by definition is temporary and should not assume an ongoing supervision of issues arising at its hearings.  I must strike a balance between reopening the hearings to consider further evidence on an issue that was considered to some degree in the earlier hearings, and the need for finality in the commission of inquiry's investigations. - Justice Bruce Cohen, Ruling Re: Reopening Hearings to Receive New Evidence of Disease of Salmon in British Columbia, page 5.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »

It's understandable that the pro-feedlot boys would be pleased with a decision preventing further understanding of the decline of our wild salmon stocks.

After all why would they want the public to learn more about the diseases their feedlots are spawning.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

Again what diseases, please dont mention the Mortonized ones, because Im sure she did alot for the antis  at the hearings... ;D.
Take the T out of Morton.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:29:34 AM »

What declines in wild stocks, af?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »

What declines in wild stocks, af?

You are aware that the Cohen Commission was established specifically for this purpose, aren't you? I doubt our government would have authorized the expenditure of millions of dollars to fund this inquiry if the evidence indicated anything other than a decline....  I haven't seen anything from Cohen yet that indicates there is not a decline, have you?

"The Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River"
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »

Sorry af, I should know better by now and have been more explicit in my question to you.  If you're saying wild salmon are fewer because of salmon farming please name one stock that has declined for this reason.  If you don't think they are the cause of declivity, what then is the basis of your stand against salmon farms?

While you're at it, how about answering Bassonators question regarding your statement "diseases spawned by feedlots"  What diseases, where and when?  How are they impacting wild salmon?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »

Sorry af, I should know better by now and have been more explicit in my question to you.  If you're saying wild salmon are fewer because of salmon farming please name one stock that has declined for this reason.  If you don't think they are the cause of declivity, what then is the basis of your stand against salmon farms?

While you're at it, how about answering Bassonators question regarding your statement "diseases spawned by feedlots"  What diseases, where and when?  How are they impacting wild salmon?

I'm sure you can find the answers to your questions by re-reading the many posts and links already provided in this forum. There is really no need for me to repeat them.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »

I'm sure you can find the answers to your questions by re-reading the many posts and links already provided in this forum. There is really no need for me to repeat them.

x2. Anyone who is seriously defending salmon feedlots and saying fish farms are not contributing to the decline of wild salmon either works for aquaculture or is wilfuly blind... it's quite clear to me based on past threads and from what turns up from a few quick google searches (includiong empirical studies) that fish farming yields a plethora of problems for both wild salmon and the surrounding environment.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »

Anyone who bases their understanding of fish farms on forum posts and "quick Google searches" clearly doesn't have the understanding required to evaluate fish farming. It is a complex topic that needs to be looked at within a whole context and with some understanding of the underlying science; reading selected internet opinions is not a sufficient basis on which to form a sound judgment.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »

x2. Anyone who is seriously defending salmon feedlots and saying fish farms are not contributing to the decline of wild salmon either works for aquaculture or is wilfuly blind
I have indeed raised a few salmon and must admit I do require dollar store glasses to read the paper :D
Perhaps you can answer the questions I asked alwaysfishn?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »

Yes...I am sure we can find all the answers in those posts.  Please tell us what these diseases are that have been spawned at BC fish farms?  Let's try HSMI for example?  Show me where they actually found this disease in BC farmed salmon?  How does one go about looking for this disease in the first place?  Would you look at "gutted fish"?

Read the ruling.  Cohen, the government or the BC fish farmers are not preventing anything in this regard.  Diseases were thoroughly discussed during the inquiry.  Cohen even extended the hearings into December for this very reason.  However, at some point the final report has to be completed.  People (even these cyberscientists on fish forums such as this) are giving the commission a bad time for all these delays, so at some point Cohen has to strike a balance.  It is not the job of the inquiry to stay active as new information becomes available.  When put into context, this new "information" really isn't worth the time to spend more money on lawyers to mull over.  The recent work by Ms Morton into HSMI was poor science with conclusions that didn't fit her results.  Read her actual report and see for yourself.  Did she really see HSMI?  What did recent literature on the subject have to say?  What do you have to do to actually make that sort of diagnosis?  In my opinion, it is clear that Ms Morton is using the inquiry as some sort of media tool to keep the spotlight on her cause.  Justice Cohen rightly chose to say enough is enough.  He has actually been more than fair to Ms Morton if you read the past rulings.  Sorry, you can't cry foul here.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:09:50 PM by shuswapsteve »