Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snakeheads  (Read 4023 times)

fishgutz63

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
snakeheads
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »

hey folks ,there here check out the local news found in central park in burnaby. :'( hope they dont get into the fraser and its tributaries >:(
Logged

cohoaaron

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 303
Logged

Kenwee

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 186
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »

Snake heads are sold live at T & T and other oriental markets. They should be banned in Canada. Only frozen fish should be allowed in.
Logged

fishgutz63

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »

in some cultures its said that if snakeheads are released live into the local water ways this will bring you good karma.what a load of baloney.these are the most dangerous invasive species that could potentially ruin the future of fishing as we know it. >:(
Logged

buzzbomb

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 85
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »

I just saw it on The National - yuck!  The whole idea of transporting and releasing fish out of superstition is starting to really cost us.   :'(  The notion that the damned things can walk from lake to lake isn‘t much of a confidence builder either.  You guys go get that fish!
Logged
5% Alc./Vol.

BCfisherman97

  • Old Timer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1020
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »

Hell, let's go get em, a great excuse to go fishing in there and help out, get a few carp maybe in the process  ;D :P
Logged

pwn50m3 f15h3r

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 221
  • What a great fish...
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »

They got into the mississippi, now they're here! THIS IS A DISASTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logged
Someone was here

red_tailed

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 07:43:18 AM »

While this fish has the POTENTIAL to be a big problem lets not go overboard about the end of fishing in this province cause of 1 fish.  The few things that are in our favour is that this fish can only really travel on land up to maybe 1/2 mile, and only if it stays damp.  It is still just a fish, so use fish logic.  The only real issue is IF this fish gets in the fraser, even then I don't know if they can survive the cold waters.  If it can be confirmed that this fish is in this burnaby pond.  Kill the pond off.  Other than that 1 fish doesn't mean the end of the world
Logged

Kenwee

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 186
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »

The big question is ....can it survive in our cold waters. If they can, then we do have a big problem on our hands. The only to keep them from invading our waters is is to ban their importation.
Any one found with these fish should be fined heavily.
Logged

cutthroat22

  • Old Timer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 951
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »

Logged

Dave

  • Old Timer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3072
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »

Logged

salmonsturgeontrout

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »

They can survive in temperatures ranging from 0 Celsius to 30 Celsius and 90% of their diet is fish, the remaining 10% consists of insects, crustaceans, reptiles, amphibians and small mammals. If they get into the Fraser it would be the end to a lot of species and businesses.It can breathe air and survive up to 4 days out of water. These fish have wreaked havoc on waterways throughout the world. If you see it, kill it!
Logged

red_tailed

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 07:33:17 AM »

It can survive at those temperatures but can it thrive and breed in them.  That is the major issue. 
Logged

speycaster

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 286
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:42:20 AM »

If bass can survive in the lower mainland I am sure that snakeheads would too. They seem to be able to thrive in eastern states.
Logged

fishgutz63

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
Re: snakeheads
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »

lets just hope the northern snakeheads never ever get into our systems these  things can survive our winters plus more :(
Logged