Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burnaby central park  (Read 15795 times)

frozensalmon

Burnaby central park
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

I was golfing in the burnaby central park where there is a very small lake
I saw lots of little golden/orange color fish they are like 200 in a pack
also saw some big fish 3~4 lb like, wondering if those are carps??
i pretty sure the lake is not for fishing but are those fish wild? or people just put in for the park purpose...

more coho, more coho... ::)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Burnaby central park
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »

Seen some big carp in there too.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »

There is a no fishing and no feeding sign near the shore close to the parking lot.  They look like carp to me, and I have also seen tiny orange colored carp about 1 inch in length (must be their  offspring). There's also turtles too, that are may be 6 inches long. 

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »

There is a no fishing and no feeding sign near the shore close to the parking lot.  They look like carp to me, and I have also seen tiny orange colored carp about 1 inch in length (must be their  offspring). There's also turtles too, that are may be 6 inches long. 

That is interesting, because flyfishing was listed as one of the passive outdoor activities on the Central Park Management plan in 2009.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGoQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsavecentralpark.ca%2Fimages%2FCentral%2520Park%2520Management%2520Plan-73Pages.pdf&ei=nbWxT76mDaeXiQLEg8HdAw&usg=AFQjCNFxH5aTPcN7fGHUcH6sJQQ7kY8WEg&sig2=giZrt63azy_xRalGi58EHw
Not all those who wander are lost

300zxfairlady

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »

my house is right infront of central park and i grew up catching fish in central park as i was a kid.
the little orange fishes you see are rosey minnows native to north america, they are sold at petsmart as live bait.
there are carp, koi, brown bullhead, crayfish, stickleback and had a very nice population of cutthroats in the creek that connected both ponds, however all the cutthroats had dissapeared many years ago.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »

That is interesting, because flyfishing was listed as one of the passive outdoor activities on the Central Park Management plan in 2009.

It looks like in the Upper Pond you can practice fly fishing. The lower pond by the golf course is where I have seen the no fishing sign.

This is the tiny orange fish I was referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIUHaoTrBk

samw

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »

This is the tiny orange fish I was referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIUHaoTrBk

rosy red minnows, also known as fathead minnows.   Petsmart sells them for 14 cents a piece.  Good pond fish.

http://www.extension.org/pages/58768/fathead-minnows

*EDIT*  Oops, yeah, what 300zxfairlady said.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:01:33 PM by samw »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »

Well, I saw the fly fishing sign when I first started out about 3 years ago. Went ahead and got my rod, hooked into a bunch of carp, and ended up running from the park officers  :P Guess I was being stupid

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »

Well, I saw the fly fishing sign when I first started out about 3 years ago. Went ahead and got my rod, hooked into a bunch of carp, and ended up running from the park officers  :P Guess I was being stupid
That is funny.  I'm guessing you were fly fishing in the upper pond. I can't imagine them giving your grief if you're just doing catch and release.   In the lower pond, there is a very busy trail all around the pond, so you'd be hooking just as many by-standers as carp.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »

;D

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »

Central Park Fishing Report... :D

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?

frozensalmon

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »

might just be one of the fish I saw!!  like I said there are some big fishes in there!
btw it says it can kill a small dog ?! what the ? o.o
more coho, more coho... ::)

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »

I'm hoping this snakehead is caught and killed right away! These fish are one of the most dangerous invasive species to be illegally introduced in the United States that one state even put a bounty on dead snakeheads to try and fight against it. Hoping the investigation starts ASAP as our fishery will change forever. I don't understand why any of these fish are even sold alive?
Do google or YouTube "Snakehead/Fishing" and you'll understand the extent of what some ignorant person did by introducing it to a pond. This can really escalate to something unimaginable...;(
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:31:59 AM by Iyekim76 »
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~