Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: patterns for Knouff/Sullivan lake  (Read 4673 times)

wallpin

patterns for Knouff/Sullivan lake
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »

Gonna be there for a week starting Monday and was wondering which patterns would be ideal for those lakes. I have never fished that region before and I'm not sure where to start. Gonna bring my 3wt, 6wt, and 8wt rods each with a float and sink lines.

thanks in advance.

Brook Trout

Re: patterns for Knouff/Sullivan lake
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »

Fish chironomids on the sunken islands. There is about 3 good ones located in the middle of the lake. They sneak up on you pretty quickly

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »

google the pattern "Knouff lake special"

i know a couple guys that fish this lake yearly and they do really good fishing chironies and small nymph patterns. make sure you have some Pheasant tail nymphs(various sizes) with you, if i remember correctly it was one of their favourite patterns for the lake

good luck, i hear the lake is a gorgeous place to stay  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »

Knouff Lake is a beautiful lake.  The water is super clear, and its treed right down to the shoreline.  You'll enjoy it.  :)

As for what flies to use, the standard patterns apply to Knouff that apply to any lake.  Really, you should be prepared for all of the basics, so have an assortment of chironomid, leeches, damselfly nymphs, dragonfly nymphs, mayfly nymphs, caddisflies (aka sedges), scuds, and some small leeches and you'll have your bases covered. 

If I was only going to take 3 fly patterns to that lake though, they would be chironomid, microleeches, and various stages of caddis (larvae, pupae, and adult dries).  A Knouff Lake Special, as noted above, is a good fly and is often thought to represent the caddis' that are so prevalent in that lake. 

http://www.kalflyfishers.ca/flysPatterns/knouff_lake_special.htm

Good luck!
:)
Tex