Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Links  (Read 3514 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
More Links
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »

Backgrounder: Correcting the Record, Alexandra Morton, IHN Media Statements

www.salmonfarmers.org/sites/default/files/ihn_corrections.pdf

Animal Health Act

B.C.’s Animal Health Act makes sickness a secret
MARK HUME, Monday's Globe and Mail, Published Sunday, May. 27, 2012
In a world of contagions, of mad-cow disease and bird flu, where the next pandemic seems just a viral mutation away, news that a farm has been quarantined because of a disease outbreak is unnerving.
But is that any reason to suppress information?
Elizabeth Denham, the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia, doesn’t think so, and neither do a lot of others, including the fish-farming industry...But people still worry when a farm is quarantined – and the best way to address that fear is to be open about what is happening and where it is happening….The fish-farming industry has recognized that with their proactive reporting recently..
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/bcs-animal-health-act-makes-sickness-a-secret/article2444822/

Gag order on identifying fish farms with potential disease sparks debate
By Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist May 26, 2012
Critics who speak publicly about a disease outbreak on a fish farm don't need to fear retribution because of new provincial legislation, says the province's chief veterinarian.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/order+identifying+fish+farms+with+disease+scares+sparks+debate/6684426/story.html

Blog: IHN virus confirmed at Alaska salmon farm
Alaska Salmon Blog, Posted on May 26, 2012
WARNING! For those who don’t like facts, you had best click off this site before reading any further.
There has been a bit of online chatter about a fish virus that has infected a few salmon farms in Washington State and British Columbia. Comments so far strongly suggest many people lack the basic understanding of biology, virology, pathology and alethiology… Despite the facts – that fish naturally host viruses, that this particular virus is known to be harmless to Pacific salmon, that a vaccine helps further protect farm-raised salmon and that these type of viruses of harmless to humans – it doesn’t stop anti-aquaculture nutters from starting an online petition in an attempt to scare consumers and pressure grocery stores from selling ‘infected’ salmon. In the first 24 hours of being posted, the petition has attracted 2,100 signatures.
alaskasalmonranching.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/ihn-virus-confirmed-in-alaska-salmon-farm/

Despite the facts – that fish naturally host viruses, that this particular virus is known to be harmless to Pacific salmon, that a vaccine helps further protect farm-raised salmon and that these type of viruses of harmless to humans – it doesn’t stop anti-aquaculture nutters from starting an online petition in an attempt to scare consumers and pressure grocery stores from selling ‘infected’ salmon. In the first 24 hours of being posted, the petition has attracted 2,100 signatures.

There is an estimated 10 million viruses in a drop of sea water.

2,100 lemmings just signed a petition that insists we can’t eat anything with viruses.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: More Links
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:37:11 PM »

I'm sure you've heard the expression, "there is more than one way to skin a cat".

Until the government acts on the fact that the feedlots present a risk to our wild salmon and remove them from the ocean, the folks that truly care about the survival of the wild salmon will find other ways to have the pens removed from our oceans. Spreading the "news" that the farmed salmon you are buying is infected with a variety of viruses will stop more people from buying this product.

If there is no market for farmed salmon, these corporations will remove the pens on their own.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »

I am having a hard time telling if your post is a response to the links posted or just a post you threw out there.  IF you had not declared previously that you would not read any of the links I post I would not be asking.  So you are reading them now or not?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »

Thanks aqua.  Should be fun to watch how the Alaskan IHN thingy plays out :)

af, on another forum some were suggesting how appropriate it would be if some 'vials of various virus's' were dumped into salmon pens.  Another way to skin a cat I suppose?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »

af, on another forum some were suggesting how appropriate it would be if some 'vials of various virus's' were dumped into salmon pens.  Another way to skin a cat I suppose?

Probably not a legal one.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

on another forum some were suggesting how appropriate it would be if some 'vials of various virus's' were dumped into salmon pens.  Another way to skin a cat I suppose?]on another forum some were suggesting how appropriate it would be if some 'vials of various virus's' were dumped into salmon pens.  Another way to skin a cat I suppose?

Looks like mother nature will do it for them.

It is interesting how absolutely random it is showing up.  First one in the west,  Then one in the East.  Now one in the South.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »

I am having a hard time telling if your post is a response to the links posted or just a post you threw out there.  IF you had not declared previously that you would not read any of the links I post I would not be asking.  So you are reading them now or not?

Maybe you can remind me in which post I said I wasn't reading any of the links you posted. It must be the age thing is affecting my memory.....

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »

Maybe you can remind me in which post I said I wasn't reading any of the links you posted. It must be the age thing is affecting my memory.....

In all honesty, I did not go back and check but I thought you did.  I'll gladly take your word for it if you say you are reading them. 

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

af, on another forum some were suggesting how appropriate it would be if some 'vials of various virus's' were dumped into salmon pens.

When I heard that the Canadian government was paying out the fish farm in the east that had the virus outbreak, my paranoid brain had a strange thought.
I thought "Why take your fish to term and have to pay the cost to harvest, ship, etc when you could infect them and get paid out by insurance?".

StillAqua

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »

..... the folks that truly care about the survival of the wild salmon will find other ways to have the pens removed from our oceans. Spreading the "news" that the farmed salmon you are buying is infected with a variety of viruses will stop more people from buying this product.
I smell a bunch of lawyers whose ears just perked up....... ::)