Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: News: Hatched and Wild Salmon: A Bad Mix?  (Read 1503 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
News: Hatched and Wild Salmon: A Bad Mix?
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »

New York Times, By KELLY SLIVKA, May 16, 2012
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/hatched-and-wild-salmon-a-bad-mix/

Blog: Are hatchery salmon hurting our wild runs?
Deckboss, May 14, 2012
Deckboss regulars know we've occasionally touched on the topic of Alaska's prolific salmon hatcheries, and whether manufactured fish are having any detrimental effects on our purely wild runs…The Department of Fish and Game has issued a request for proposals from entities interested in conducting a research program to address interactions of wild and hatchery pink and chum salmon in Prince William Sound and Southeast Alaska."
It's a pretty serious contract, worth up to $4.5 million. Jump to page 27 of the 73-page RFP to read the very interesting "scope of work" to be performed.
http://deckboss.blogspot.ca/2012/05/are-hatchery-salmon-hurting-our-wild.html
request for proposals:
notes4.state.ak.us/pn/pubnotic.nsf/0/d52efa396245b1db892579f70075d4dd/$FILE/RFP+-+Hatchery+fish+interaction.pdf
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: News: Hatched and Wild Salmon: A Bad Mix?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:51:33 AM »

--It is an issue when the expected outcome of research is required in order to continue with the funding.

--If I were to make available funding for research on the benefits of smoking.. I am sure given the money available that I could get many applying and finding.. significant benefits from smoking.... I could then report that several papers have been produced that demonstrate benefits of smoking.
--for example... researchers found that when recording data in mosquito infested areas... smokers had significantly less mosquito bites than researchers in the same area.... they went on to conclude that non smokers had a significantly higher risk of contacting mosquito born deceases than smokers. 

--I think Ottawa has recently indicated that if researchers do not produce expected results that funding will be cut and the report will be discredited.

--I have read several reports on hatchery stock and the effects on the Columbia River ( as Skaha sockeye come via the Columbia) ... strangely enough... Biologists funded by hatcheries find benefits and minor problems that can be addressed... Biologist working with other funding find little benefit and major problems that cannot be addressed. On occasion there more independent summaries giving both sides, however these tend to not give advice as to which is correct.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:53:11 AM by skaha »

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: News: Hatched and Wild Salmon: A Bad Mix?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

Skaha you have hit the nail on the head. How do we sort the grain from the chaff. I think the problem lies in that science that appears to most to be just another tool bought and paid for by whom ever and too many times the sumation reports are anything but balanced or unfettered by money.

remember hearing of a report that said a coal miner who smoked had less of a chance of dying of pneumoconiosi ( Black Lung) apparently they coughed out the dust.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:34:31 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!