Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roche Lake early spring  (Read 4129 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Roche Lake early spring
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:49:26 PM »

The past few seasons I have been out to Roche lake and always managed to get a fish or two but never any decent numbers like many of the fisherman around me - haha

a couple of questions....I often see fisherman doing really well casting into the weeds/reeds and doing a stop and go or twitch retrieve - what are some good flies for this?  I have tried black micro leeches, olive micro leeches to no avail...

Also, what size of chironomids seem to be a good bet?  I hear White Bead, Black Body with red ribs are a good bet.  I also hear Blue chironomids work well with silver or red ribbing.  Any other suggestions?

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Roche Lake early spring
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

There can be lots of reasons why the guy next to you is outfishing you by a lot. I would put them in this order:
Presentation (Depth, retrieve). Usually, but not always fishing chironomids 1-2 ft off the bottom works best. Vary your depth or fish naked sinking line in deeper water so you can fish the entire water column. Don't fish below the thermocline.
Fly size For chironomids generally fish one size larger than what is hatching - size 12-16 are common. Unforutnately Roche fish that I throat pump often contain 3 or more different sizes so ???. Leeches and damsels I generally fish small (micro or smaller) with a fast retrieve.
Location Roche has definite "highways" that fish use to travel between deep water and shoals and I've had a lot of success fishing these. If you are 10 feet off the highway you may not catch anything. Later in the year you can generally spot these as grooves in the weed cover.
Fly Colour Colour can often make the difference between a good day and a great day. black, brown, green, ASB, wine, chromie for chironomids. I personally never start with black with red rib. I have found the poor water clarity in Roche means white or copper beads work better.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

try a burgundy leech or micro leech. just with a swivel and and indicator along the weeds or over top of them. cast twitch/retrieve. that should work well.trolling them can be deadly too.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »

Yeah, Ty and rhino have it covered, but last May a chromie (silver body) was the best ticket, and out fished the black and red or blue all weekend.  The difference maker was the white bead.  When I lost my last one, the bite was off the other chronies, and I have to work a small black spratley on a fast retrieve to keep hitting them in numbers.
Not all those who wander are lost