Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilean Fish Farms and the Tragedy of the Commons  (Read 12846 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Chilean Fish Farms and the Tragedy of the Commons
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »

"Who could have predicted that the mass forced farming of an exotic fish to please the Wal-Mart low-price palate would result in a horrific virus-borne plague?"

Think that for some of the "walmart generation" it's still hard to get their noodle around it.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »

Interesting article, looking forward to the second part.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »

I wonder if one of you knowledgeable gentlemen would summarize for me the extent of the damage caused in Chile by salmon farms?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »

Seems to me the country has learned a lot from it's mistakes.
absolon, I just had a look at the forum on SportsfishingBC ... wow!  I admire your patience with those knuckle draggers :D

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »

That was a bit of fun and an inevitable consequence of the very rare opportunity of finding Morton in a situation where she couldn't ignore a reasonable question that I really wanted an answer to. What strikes me most is that in spite of the rather juvenile approach on that forum, it is the one Morton chose to make an appearance on and the one where she attempts to bolster her support.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »

Can you share the link.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

absolon

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »

Did they dial up your number pronto. ;D

Absolon: you are apparently new here and perhaps are not yet aware that we do not suffer trolls gladly.
We are working hard in our attempt to preserve and enhance wild salmon stocks, as is Dr. Morton. You are not at all helpful in this endeavour being in retrograde, as you seem to be. You a Norwegian salmon farmer, by chance?
Get on board and stay, go away or Holmes will get you with the Troll Spray. Have a good day!
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »

All that and 16 more pages in response to a simple question..............."I've wondered about this ever since you worked so hard to take salmon farms away from provincial control and insisted DFO must be responsible. I have never been able to find an explanation for why you did so. Perhaps you could explain now, particularly in light of the quoted statement?"

Remarkable isn't it?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:50:35 AM by absolon »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »

That was a bit of fun and an inevitable consequence of the very rare opportunity of finding Morton in a situation where she couldn't ignore a reasonable question that I really wanted an answer to. What strikes me most is that in spite of the rather juvenile approach on that forum, it is the one Morton chose to make an appearance on and the one where she attempts to bolster her support.

Still pounding your chest Absolon..... and for what? Why is it that in your mind, everyone that passionately cares about wild salmon is "juvenile". You could benefit from losing a little of that arrogant attitude. Your message, while it may have a little merit, is mostly ignored due to your arrogant approach to the salmon farming topic.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

My description of the behavior as juvenile has absolutely nothing to do with what they believe and absolutely everything to do with how they conduct a discussion with people who don't share their beliefs. Communication is not accomplished by personal attacks and insults.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »

My description of the behavior as juvenile has absolutely nothing to do with what they believe and absolutely everything to do with how they conduct a discussion with people who don't share their beliefs. Communication is not accomplished by personal attacks and insults.
I think a number of people attack Alex many times, unfortunatley. ::)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:35 PM »

Starts on page 6, goes to about page 22.

Thanks for that.  cudos to rod(moderator) and most other participants here for keeping the tone reasonable.  What is going on over there is embarrassing.  I see the passion though, i see the passion. ;)
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »

I think a number of people attack Alex many times, unfortunatley. ::)

Chris, people attack what Ms. Morton says and what she does but no-one has been derogatory on a personal level. There is quite a difference between attacking the message and attacking the messenger.