Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alexander Morton needs Veddar steelhead for virus testing!  (Read 10076 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Alexander Morton needs Veddar steelhead for virus testing!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

Chris, what are your instructions for sampling your catch?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »

Chris, what are your instructions for sampling your catch?
I deliver. ;D ;D ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »

Give your head a shake, Dave!  So what if you have 30 years of experience with sampling fish and worked at Cultus Lake Laboratory.  You guys with an education and your friking scientific methods....Whatever.  Get with the program and trade in your fishing rods for a shopping cart and Superstore flyer or maybe hang out at Harrison Mills this fall and wait for a old boot to drift by.  Then get your own blog and post your results.  That's where the science is.  We need totally independent and experienced people like Ms Morton to sample these fish.  She obviously knows more than you, you old fart.

And to think I was going to actually share a brew with you in a month from now.

;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 05:57:37 AM »

Give your head a shake, Dave!  So what if you have 30 years of experience with sampling fish and worked at Cultus Lake Laboratory.  You guys with an education and your friking scientific methods....Whatever.  Get with the program and trade in your fishing rods for a shopping cart and Superstore flyer or maybe hang out at Harrison Mills this fall and wait for a old boot to drift by.  Then get your own blog and post your results.  That's where the science is.  We need totally independent and experienced people like Ms Morton to sample these fish.  She obviously knows more than you, you old fart.

;D
Losing it. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »

;D
Looking forward to it!  Gonna check out his gift today - a 4" Super Silex.
sweet ;)

Schenley

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »

Its been said before, but it deserves repeating  .... Atlantic Salmon farms have no place on the BC coast.  But I guess that Dave and others dont care to use the "precautionary principle"

And yes-- I AM well versed in the issue--- see red text above.

So , how many of you are going to feed this crap to your children??     http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2012/04/new-norwegian-virus-in-supermarket-farm-salmon.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

Please explain how the red text makes you well versed in the issue.
Also, I'm guessing she would prefer to be called Alexandra, it's the Vedder River
and no, I would not have purchased that fish. 

Schenley

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »

So-- are you the official board spellingh police?   wel-- so sory if dat offeds yu..   OH-- yu mean da Cheddar rite?   And while my spellin mite not be gud-- I read and comprehend very well.  Weigh all the evidence from all over the world where they have salmon net pens , and you dont have to work at a lab ( if that is what you did) to smell rotten fish.

And if you are a "person of science" (which I doubt) why have you not heard of the precautionary principle and accept that the level of risk from these farms is too great to take a chance on having them in our waters.  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »

So-- are you the official board spellingh police?   wel-- so sory if dat offeds yu..   OH-- yu mean da Cheddar rite?   And while my spellin mite not be gud-- I read and comprehend very well.  Weigh all the evidence from all over the world where they have salmon net pens , and you dont have to work at a lab ( if that is what you did) to smell rotten fish.

And if you are a "person of science" (which I doubt) why have you not heard of the precautionary principle and accept that the level of risk from these farms is too great to take a chance on having them in our waters.  ???

Perhaps you may want to focus on this actual discussion of the issue instead of being so nitpicking and abrasive because others don't agree with you. Your Insistence of the salmon farm's negative impact is not going to persuade Dave's view on how proper scientific methodology should be conducted. Your questioning of Dave's credential is also not going to make him take you more seriously about your stand. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's having a chuckle right now while reading this.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

Wow a tad touchy are we...lol....and no Im not an expert but I tend to believe the ones that are real experts not the  kitchen cutting board kind. ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

No fish landed this AM for testing, maybe this afternoon, I saw Dave following me this morning. ;D ;D

Schenley

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »

Rod-- in fairness, just who is being nit-picky here?  Who brought up the spelling mistakes (twice?)  I have watched Dave and a couple of others call down anyone who believes we have a problem with wild fish and exposure to pathogens and sea lice  from sea pens.   So I snapped back... What is at stake is far more valuable than following proper protocol on this board . Anyone who loves wild salmon should demand that our governments pull these farms until proper closed containment facilities can be built.  That would be the Precautionary Principle that is needed in BC waters.

Now back the forum language

Report to moderator   Logged
Dave
Subscriber
Old Timer

View Profile Email

Re: Chilean Fish Farms and the Tragedy of the Commons
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:54:14 AM »
Seems to me the country has learned a lot from it's mistakes.
absolon, I just had a look at the forum on SportsfishingBC ... wow!  I admire your patience with those knuckle draggers Cheesy
   Report to moderator   Logged
absolon

View Profile

Re: Chilean Fish Farms and the Tragedy of the Commons
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:12:17 AM »
That was a bit of fun and an inevitable consequence of the very rare opportunity of finding Morton in a situation where she couldn't ignore a reasonable question that I really wanted an answer to. What strikes me most is that in spite of the rather juvenile approach on that forum, it is the one Morton chose to make an appearance on and the one where she attempts to bolster her support.

Perhaps you can tell me why its OK to call other anglers on another board "knuckle draggers" or why its allowable for another poster  to diss people by talking about their rather juvenile approach with no substantiation or facts to back it up?????  

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »

You're missing the point so I'm not going to expend more time to explain. I'm quite pleased with how our moderators have maintained these boards, compared to some other forums. If there is a problem with a particular post, click on "report to moderators" and someone will be happy to look at it.

I don't think Dave, Shuswapsteve etc have an issue on protecting wild salmon, but as another individual in the field of fishery biology, I'll have to agree with them when it comes to sound science and correct methodology when proving one's hypothesis.

BTW, just so there isn't any confusion. I wasn't suggesting that you've violated the guidelines of this discussion board. I was simply suggesting that you may wish to change the way to deliver your point across if you want more support. Assuming no one wants to help Alex to catch a sample after three posts is definitely not going to get you more samples lol...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »

You're missing the point so I'm not going to expend more time to explain. I'm quite pleased with how our moderators have maintained these boards, compared to some other forums. If there is a problem with a particular post, click on "report to moderators" and someone will be happy to look at it.

I don't think Dave, Shuswapsteve etc have an issue on protecting wild salmon, but as another individual in the field of fishery biology, I'll have to agree with them when it comes to sound science and correct methodology when proving one's hypothesis.

BTW, just so there isn't any confusion. I wasn't suggesting that you've violated the guidelines of this discussion board. I was simply suggesting that you may wish to change the way to deliver your point across if you want more support. Assuming no one wants to help Alex to catch a sample after three posts is definitely not going to get you more samples lol...
I am trying, maybe I will ask for a permit or take up fly fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:48 PM »

I am trying, maybe I will ask for a permit or take up fly fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Woo Hoo now us real fisherman come out.... ;D ;D ;)
Take the T out of Morton.