Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alexander Morton needs Veddar steelhead for virus testing!  (Read 10075 times)

Schenley

Alexander Morton needs Veddar steelhead for virus testing!
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »

Please have a look at this page from Sportfishing BC...in particular Alex's request for steelhead for testing-- can anyone help this late in the year?

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?19113-What-can-WE-do-to-help-save-the-salmon/page27

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Alexander Morton needs Veddar steelhead for virus testing!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »

I think Dave can pick one up from the Centennial spawning channel during his next enumeration walk! ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »

Yeah, like I'm going to kill a healthy, wild spawning steelhead for Alex :D :D :D 
Lunacy.

Had she put a little thought into this, properly taken and defensible samples would have been easy to obtain from the broodstock when they were spawned, if MOE would have allowed them to be killed.

Dave, saying this is the only time you will hear me say I'm glad these fish are air spawned and later released.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »

I belive some have been sampled already.

Schenley

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »

Who the hell said ANYTHING about killing WILD steelhead. Give your head a shake Dave

Chris-- when? Who did the sampling? If it was MOE or DFO, do you REALLY think they will come up with anything?

The lady could use our help. She is trying to save our wild salmon-- DFO and the Province  certainly are not.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »

Who the hell said ANYTHING about killing WILD steelhead. Give your head a shake Dave
Uh, how else can liver, kidney and heart tissue be sampled?

Schenley

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »

What part of the word  " WILD " do you not understand?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »

Dave does bring up a good point. If the effect of salmon farm on wild steelhead is being investigated, shouldn't the test samples be from wild steelhead?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »

Chris is right, ovarian fluid samples have been taken from the wild broodstock from the Chilliwack Hatchery steelhead and other salmonids as part of the virus scan promised by the CFIA.  A more thorough disease profile would have been preferrable but ov will detect virus's.  These samples have not been analysed and are awaiting pickup by the CFIA.
Not sure why AM wants more ???

Schenley, as Iv'e stated before, I have never seen a hatchery steelhead in Centennial Channel, where Rod (tongue in cheek) suggested I pick one up.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »

Chris-- when? Who did the sampling? If it was MOE or DFO, do you REALLY think they will come up with anything?

The lady could use our help. She is trying to save our wild salmon-- DFO and the Province  certainly are not.

-

Sheesh another one falls... ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

Schenley

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »

These samples have not been analysed and are awaiting pickup by the CFIA.
Not sure why AM wants more Huh

Because CFIA  has been shown NOT to be neutral.   What is needed is INDEPENDENT testing . 

Is it too much to ask that anglers donate  a couple of fish to fill in more pieces of the puzzle that are lacking?   

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »

It's freshet now. You would think if the Vedder/Cultas were ground zero a little bit of planning could have been used.
I don't get it

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

These samples have not been analysed and are awaiting pickup by the CFIA.
Not sure why AM wants more Huh

Because CFIA  has been shown NOT to be neutral.   What is needed is INDEPENDENT testing . 

Is it too much to ask that anglers donate  a couple of fish to fill in more pieces of the puzzle that are lacking?   
Schenley, let me help here.  If you have any frozen vacuum packed, totally boneless filleted steelhead, fish that were rock hard and silver bright when caught, bled immediately, and of course were caught within the last few months, I will take these samples for analysis :D
Seriously though, sampling fish for defensible data on diseases involves a whole lot more than most anglers can provide, but by all means contact Ms. Morton if you have/catch a fish she may want.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »

Schenley,

It may be beneficial to you if you sat down for an afternoon and read some of the threads here about salmon farming just to get up to speed on the who's who here.  Dave knows his stuff.  I am surprised that morton is still asking everyday folks to collect samples for her.  Seems she operates under a different set of scientific standards than the rest of the world.

By the way Dave,  I'd be more than happy to pick up those samples for you.  The ones that were not to old, vacuum sealed, boneless, and chrome.  I'll defrost them for you and make sure that there are no bones ;D ;)
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »

Went out this afternoon to get some more samples but no fish to the beach, maybe tomorrow, the last day of the season. ;D ;D