Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: N.S. Salmon Farm Told To Destroy All Fish, CBC  (Read 6777 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
N.S. Salmon Farm Told To Destroy All Fish, CBC
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »

Hoping the pro fish farm members on this forum can address this and calm our fears on this one.

Food inspection agency confirms more diseased salmon

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/04/26/ns-salmon-disease-fish-kill.html

Salmon virus confirmed at N.S. fish farm
Some groups are asking for a moratorium on fish farms. (CBC)Cooke Aquaculture has been ordered to kill the remaining salmon at its fish farm on Nova Scotia's South Shore.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency confirms more cases of infectious salmon anaemia, a disease that affects finfish but not humans.

Cooke must destroy all of its fish and disinfect every pen, cage and piece of equipment. The facility remains under quarantine until the whole process is done, which could be months.

In February, when the virus was first suspected, the company voluntarily destroyed two cages of salmon at its Shelburne facility.

The CFIA ordered the destruction of a third pen of fish after tests confirmed the virus. Last month, the agency said even more salmon would have to be killed.

Dozens of community, angling and tourism groups have called for a moratorium on fish farms.

The Nova Scotia government has shot that down, saying it believes that the industry is good for the province.

absolon

• Old Timer
Re: N.S. Salmon Farm Told To Destroy All Fish, CBC
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »

Interesting statement in the second article, near the end:

ISA Outbreaks have occurred in New Brunswick (1996), Scotland (1998, 2008), British Columbia (2011).

Sounds like an informed reporter. I wonder if the rest of the article is as accurate.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »

ISA Outbreaks have occurred in New Brunswick (1996), Scotland (1998, 2008), British Columbia (2011).

Sounds like an informed reporter. I wonder if the rest of the article is as accurate.
Comments on the first article?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »

It appears that the correct procedures when an outbreak occurs are being followed. Beyond that, there really isn't a whole lot of reliable information to comment on in those two news reports. Presumably other testing in the area is being carried out to ensure the outbreak was stopped.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »

Just thinking about it.........I guess we have Ms. Morton and her announcement last fall to thank for that misconception.

gilbey

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »

It appears that the correct procedures when an outbreak occurs are being followed. Beyond that, there really isn't a whole lot of reliable information to comment on in those two news reports. Presumably other testing in the area is being carried out to ensure the outbreak was stopped.

Yea right, correct procedures.... 75.5 million dollars of Canadian tax payers money are paid out as compensation to fish farms in New Brunswick for fish destroied because of an ISA outbreak! Plus possably another 15 million dollars that CFIA will likley compensate Cooke Aquaculture for there fish that must be killed because of this new ISA outbreak in 2012.  Why is the Canadian taxpayer bailing out the multinational fish farming coperations when they are poluting our oceans and infecting our wild samon with there diseases. WTF this whole philosophy is wrong....... Morton is right

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:10 PM »

Beef producers in Alberta alone got $403 million in 2003/2004 as compensation for the BSE cull.

Chicken farms in the Fraser Valley got $63 million in 2004 for the avian flu outbreak cull.

Heck, even grain farmers in Saskatchewan got $75/acre in 2011 when there was too much rain to seed.

I don't hear you whining about them.

gilbey

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »

Beef producers in Alberta alone got $403 million in 2003/2004 as compensation for the BSE cull.

Chicken farms in the Fraser Valley got $63 million in 2004 for the avian flu outbreak cull.

Heck, even grain farmers in Saskatchewan got $75/acre in 2011 when there was too much rain to seed.

[/quote
  Whining,,, Why are the Canadian tax payers bailing out these private enterprizes in the first place   F ### them,,, I guess that they must provide at least a couple of low paying jobs...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:36:03 AM »

Victoria paper on this as well.

Farmed salmon ordered destroyed
  New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal April 27, 2012 4:02 AM   The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has ordered Cooke Aquaculture to destroy all the fish at one of the company's Nova Scotia fish farms. In February, the company destroyed two cages of fish at a Shelburne, N.S., farm after tests indicated the possibility of the Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) virus. The presence of the virus was later confirmed, prompting the destruction of more fish. Now the CFIA says the whole lot must be eradicated. "Some will make this into a terrible story and say this is a disaster for the industry," Cooke spokeswoman Nell Halse said. "I think people should look at it the other way around. This is a case that shows the government has a very good agency that deals with animal health, and that we have good testing procedures and protocols that are working."

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/health/Farmed+salmon+ordered+destroyed/6529035/story.html#ixzz1tFPGhGXW

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »

Whining,,, Why are the Canadian tax payers bailing out these private enterprizes in the first place   F ### them,,, I guess that they must provide at least a couple of low paying jobs...

If your complaint is with Canadian government policy of subsidy within the agriculture sector, you should address the policy rather than blaming fish farms for receiving benefit from it. The farms have nothing to do with setting the policy.

You might also expand your complaint to cover the broad and increasing extent of corporate subsidy in the country that is coming at a cost to individual's well-being and financial solvency. I don't blame you for being angry but it isn't the farm's fault.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

What a weak attempt at deflecting the blame.
"Other farmers are getting federal payouts when disease hits so why shouldn't the fish farming industry."

Those were NATIONAL issues not just one farm.

Beside the grain farmer payout was done from INSURANCE so it doesn't apply.
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=604299
They pay between $15 and $30 per year per acre.

Shouldn't fish farms have their own insurance as well?
No business should be operating without any kind of insurance.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »

The policy for agriculture is that if a cull is required, the government compensates. Chilliwack chicken farmers aren't a national issue, neither are Alberta cattle feedlots. In all cases, it was individual companies that received the compensation, just as it is in this instance.

Like it or not, there aren't two sets of rules and the one set that exists applies to everyone, not just those you think are deserving.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »

The policy for agriculture is that if a cull is required, the government compensates.

I know that some people are highly offended by this but I see it as important to avoid a situation where any farmer, beef, pork, salmon or chicken, may want to cover something up and myself ending up eating an avian flue chicken or something similar.  I think it is a good thing for protecting consumers.

Chris, I liked your last link.  Thanks.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.