Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilean Fish Farms and the Tragedy of the Commons  (Read 12768 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Chilean Fish Farms and the Tragedy of the Commons
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »

Four posts reacting to my comment that "I'm sure he had a very nice all expenses paid holiday down there.."    ;D  ;D

This was my response to his own admission that he was a guest of Salmon of the Americas. Why would it be unfair for me to assume that he had an all expense paid trip down there?  Why would it be unfair to assume that his reporting was not influenced by the treatment he received as their guest?

How likely is it that they will be inviting someone like Alexandra Morton to be their guest? Is it possible that Alex isn't going to receive an invitation because her reporting can't be influenced by the all expense paid, 5 star treatment?

Reading a story and taking it at face value is just naive. Understanding the background of the writer and the circumstances in which the story was written can reveal a lot about the credibility of the story...

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »

In light of your acknowledged assumptions, and in light of your continued presentation of your supposition as fact, I think this bears repeating:

........Can you give me a link to the "facts"?

Some how I have a feeling that you are again interpreting your interpretations as facts when really it is just your opinion......

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »

Four posts reacting to my comment that "I'm sure he had a very nice all expenses paid holiday down there.."    ;D  ;D

This was my response to his own admission that he was a guest of Salmon of the Americas. Why would it be unfair for me to assume that he had an all expense paid trip down there?  Why would it be unfair to assume that his reporting was not influenced by the treatment he received as their guest?

How likely is it that they will be inviting someone like Alexandra Morton to be their guest? Is it possible that Alex isn't going to receive an invitation because her reporting can't be influenced by the all expense paid, 5 star treatment?

Reading a story and taking it at face value is just naive. Understanding the background of the writer and the circumstances in which the story was written can reveal a lot about the credibility of the story...
First you said you were "pointing out the facts", but now you seem to be assuming the intentions of the writer.  You do have a point about reading a story and just taking it at face value can be naïve.  Nowadays, I think people should always look at the content of some news articles critically and not just eagerly jump on the bandwagon.  However, what you do is ignore the content and go right after the author with nothing more than assumptions of ethical misconduct.  It is also equally naïve to assume that the author purposely wrote a favourable report due to kickbacks.