Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New waders!  (Read 14141 times)

joshhowat

Re: New waders!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 09:08:23 PM »

I nuked a pair of g3 from July to febuary..... Told Simms and bang I'm rocking new g4 now for only the differents in g3 to g4.

Now I fish every weekend of my life and after work as much as possible and mainly hiking around the canyon.

Josh
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 09:55:12 PM »

6 seasons with 20 days a season in them? That's about as much as Trout Slayer fishes in a year. I've had issues with Bare waders as well. Though this was years ago.

Nope more than that but thats not what my question was.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:13:03 PM by bbronswyk2000 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »

Hey Milo

Any update on your Bare Adam waders ?  I just notice Fred's is no longer selling Bare breathable waders anymore ???

I have the vedders and they have been way better then I expected. I owned simms for the last 6 years and when I needed new waders this past fall and when Bare was saying how great these new line of waders where I decided to try them out. The first thing that worried me was whether or not they would have the right size for me as I am rather on the large side at 6'2" and 300lbs but I was able too find the perfect size. These waders will definatly stand up with no issues with seams in the crotch area as they have moved the seams so that they are on the front and back.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »

Nope more than that but thats not what my question was.
I had a pair of the William Joseph Drynamics, the croch was leaking with less then 10 days on them. Had a pair of the mean green Bare Blackwaters, they lasted a little longer but same problem, croch blew out, dont know how many tubes of aquaseal went on them before finally going in the garbage. Currently wearing a pair of Simms G3's and highly recommend their products. Have had some minor leaking in the legs but the crotch has been solid.

As Dion said though, I do fish a good 150-200 days a year in them. ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »

I had a pair of the William Joseph Drynamics, the croch was leaking with less then 10 days on them. Had a pair of the mean green Bare Blackwaters, they lasted a little longer but same problem, croch blew out, dont know how many tubes of aquaseal went on them before finally going in the garbage. Currently wearing a pair of Simms G3's and highly recommend their products. Have had some minor leaking in the legs but the crotch has been solid.

As Dion said though, I do fish a good 150-200 days a year in them. ;D

Have kids and that 150-220 will go down to about 50 like me LOL

I have the drynamics and the only hole is in the foot. I think I must have stepped on something as its on the bottom of the foot. Like I said I had them for 6 years and only paid $100 for them off Ebay. I have no idea what my next pair will be yet. I like the zipper idea so I would want that. After hearing about Bares problems I wont go that route.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »

no matter how much you spend they all leak in the end....I had 4 pairs of blackwaters and they held up about as well as G3's..my G4s are slightly better though they had a slight calf leak from around my 10th trip...about a year now and both calfs leak now though not badly. I wouldnt buy WJ waders after watching my brother destroy a pair in steelhead season...though this is fishing multiple days a week and crashing through bushes, still they didnt hold up as well as most.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »

.my G4s are slightly better though they had a slight calf leak from around my 10th trip...about a year now and both calfs leak now though not badly.

Wow, I thought the Simms G4 are bulletproof, can you claim under warranty after a year or the $500 dollars down to the drain ?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »

Wow, I thought the Simms G4 are bulletproof, can you claim under warranty after a year or the $500 dollars down to the drain ?
x2
I have close to 100 trips on my G3's and so far they are bulletproof - and I fish some tough bush with lots of walking/crawling every trip.
Maybe yours don't fit well?

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »

I fish the vedder every day give or take a few and i use bare lightning neo's
had them for 3 years and never had a leak.
as for what trout slayer said.. i disagree 100% if you take care of your stuff, and take the appropriate measures they will last along time.
for 99$ ive been dry for 3 years so 350++ days a year of fishing and im still dry.

a big tip for neo would be to put a large pair of thick wool socks on the boots. prevents ware and other leaks from the foot.
if you really want to waste money.

My father and his friend both wasted 600$ on sims to find they ware down faster than mine they leak at the crotch and the heel. their pairs are the breathable kind so not sure if thats the difference in the length of time they last.

i digress dad wasted $600 and he has wet feet
i spend 99 dollars and im dry.

Tight lines to all

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »

Brian, you are comparing apples to oranges here.  Neos last way longer than breathables but breathables are way more comfortable to use.  That is why the majority of the waders you see on the river nowadays are breathables.  Many years ago I used neos and sure they lasted years and years of use and abuse.  After wearing breathables, I hardly touch my neos anymore.  The two are not comparable IMHO.

They say there are two kinds of breathable waders, the ones that leak and the ones that are going to leak.  Just can't get around that.  You have a choice to spend lots of money on breathables that will last longer or go the less expensive route and hope they last longer than one year.  All the breathables that I've owned eventually leaked.  Some after one year, some after two or three.  The important thing is to go with a brand that stands behind their product and has a good return/repair policy.  Make sure you get your waders properly fitted (improper fitting is a common source of many leaking problems) and maybe have a backup pair around so you won't be left without a pair while your waders are being returned/repaired.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »

x2
I have close to 100 trips on my G3's and so far they are bulletproof - and I fish some tough bush with lots of walking/crawling every trip.
Maybe yours don't fit well?

they fit well... i  had leaks everywhere in my G3s after a year...marine gooped them everywhere and got another year out of them, they need to be re gooped as they are pretty bad now... my G4s leaked pretty early and i didnt even bother to send them back and wont now either, ill patch them myself...not even worth not having waders waiting on warranty, plus they dont do any better job from factory that you can do yourself.... i may look into dan bailey lightweights next...i got good deals on ebay for my G3s and G4s but still not worth twice the cost of similar waders
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »

very good point statocaster.
Tight lines to all

tnt

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »

I kill G4 every 6 months any other wafer would be 2 months. I don't wear my waders I live in them. 250-300 days a year. U get what u pay for and there for I wear simms
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »

I kill G4 every 6 months any other wafer would be 2 months. I don't wear my waders I live in them. 250-300 days a year. U get what u pay for and there for I wear simms

That's a job, not a hobby. You don't do a job with a hobbyist's tool.
I'd also buy the best waders money can buy if I lived in them.

But IMO, for the angler that puts anywhere between 1-50 days a year ( like most of us family people with non-fishing related jobs do), spending 700+ on a pair of G4's is simply overkil. Most non-professional rods I know who wear high end waders and boots do so out of sheer snobbery, not need.