The Western Division of the Canadian Youth Team will be holding a single fly, loch-style fly fishing competition/fundraiser at Whonnock Lake in Maple Ridge, on Sunday, May 6th. There is a boat launch at the lake between the community center and picnic area, and there'll be lots of hands available to help launch or unload your boats (no motors allowed).
This competition is a pairs event, with individual and team scores being awarded. Individual registrants will be paired up prior to the start of the competition. Boats will go in the water just after 8:00am (when the gates open) and the two, 3-hour sessions of the competition will last from 9:00am to 4:00pm - with approximately an hour for the lunch break and socializing. The Youth Team members and volunteers will be serving a hot dog and hamburger lunch, as a part of their fundraising projects, so please bring along some cash to help support their cause.
This is a free event and friendly competition, so new-comers are welcome and encouraged to attend and learn from this experience. This also an excellent chance for novice and experienced competitors to gain some additional competitive fly fishing experience. Please respond here or email me if you're interested in attending the competition and festivities, or for more details at: email@example.com
This will be a fun and friendly competition, and a great chance to come out and meet a few other members of this forum. This is also a great opportunity to take your spouse, children, parents or friends out for an enjoyable day on the water.
Here are a few of the rules and details about the competition:
1. Eligible Fish Species: Rainbow and Cutthroat trout.
2. Minimum length for scoring points: 20cm.
3. Single barbless hook
4. Number of Sessions: 2, 3-hour sessions.
5. Number of Competitors per Team: 2 competitors.
6. Individual Competitors will be paired up.
7. Competitors can choose to fish in the same boat with their team mate for the competition, or can enter into the rotation process.
8. Rotating partners is highly recommended, as this is an excellent opportunity to fish with, socialize, and learn from, the other competitors.
9. Competitors that wish to fish in the same boat with their team mate must digitally photograph all of their fish within the official measuring troughs.
10. Competitors are responsible for providing their own cameras and ensuring that they are fully charged.
11. Competitors will receive both individual and team points.
12. A competition venue (Whonnock Lake) "no-fishing policy" will apply to all competitors affective as of Monday, April 30th, 2012.
This should prove to be a great time and chance to come out and support our National Youth Team Members. I sincerely hope to see you there!