Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canada's best Kokanee Lake Crashes  (Read 2030 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Canada's best Kokanee Lake Crashes
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »

--Wood lake north of kelowna was acclaimed Canada's best Kokanee fishery.
--High success rate... in fact some anglers complained that with the two fish limit their day was done to early.

--This year... NO fish... several hours to catch just a single fish and many fishers skunked.

--The fishery is so bad the local fisheries isn't going to invoke their favoured tool and shut down the recreational fishery.  There are so few fish being caught and soon so few people fishing that there is no need to close the fishery.

--There are a number of theories... but water quality.... high temps and algae blooms late last season are current prime suspects. 

samw

Re: Canada's best Kokanee Lake Crashes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »

Same is being said about Okanagan Lake. 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/05/30/bc-kokanee-salmon-wood-lake.html

Nothing in there about Okanagan Lake, only Wood. I haven't fished it but I hear fishing is pretty good for Kokanee this year.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »

--Okanagan lake was just reopened this season after being closed for many years.  The shore spawn numbers are up but the stream spawning fish (the big ones we like to catch) have not fully recovered as yet.

--Skaha lk kokanee.... I'm not sure yet... have only been fishing one day... several small ones on the line and one larger. Have heard reports of others catching but very few people fishing the lake. Fish last season seemed smaller than usual but maybe I'm just not using the right gear.
--I believe there is going to be a harvest Mysis shrimp this season in Skaha which should help to determine if this beast is robbing the Kokanee and recently introduced sockeye of food.
--The good news for Skaha is many beneficial studies taking place as part of the reintroduction of sockeye program by Okanagan Nation Alliance.
--Wood, Okanagan and Skaha have had and continue to have fairly rigorous monitoring of kokanee numbers.