Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invisible Thread for Fly Tying  (Read 3029 times)

one more cast

Invisible Thread for Fly Tying
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »

Has anyone used invisible mending thread for tying flies...if so, where did you buy it in the Vancouver area
and what was it like to work with ( strength, really invisible etc.)?

I guess, I would have to buy it at a fabric supply store like Dressew on Hastings and I would think that it's real pricey ( invisible mending tailors).

Thanks for any info.

BTW, it's for warping fragile peacock herl body ribbing to keep it from breaking.

Also, I guess I could use 4 pound mono.

-Steve
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:50:48 AM by one more cast »

Clarki Hunter

Re: Invisible Thread for Fly Tying
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »

UNI makes a fine clear mono for tying... having said that, I would wrap with a fine gold wire to brighten it up or use a fine green wire.  It'll do a much better job of keeping the herl together.  :)

one more cast

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:16:05 PM »

Yeah, thanks.

Just picked up some UNI clear at a fly shop...just didn't notice it before. $1.98.

Gold ribbing or any other wire rib might distract from this fly...but I do have some super, super fine gold wire I took from an electronics part that I might try.

Thanks and cheers.

Banny

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:55:05 PM »

A handy way to strengthen peacock herl is to use black thread and twist the herl around the thread and wrap both in conjunction.  You do not notice the thread whatsoever.

one more cast

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »

A handy way to strengthen peacock herl is to use black thread and twist the herl around the thread and wrap both in conjunction.  You do not notice the thread whatsoever.

Right, but I use a 'loop of thread' when I do that.

I have also used a super fine gold wire loop.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »

it can be wrapped around a couple of strands of krystal flash as well. Usually I tie in the flash the herl then make a dubbing loop with the flash with the herl inside.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.