Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthroat behavior/feeding?  (Read 2688 times)

Hasport

Cutthroat behavior/feeding?
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »

So a buddy and I were flyfishing and bait fishing for cutties to no avail. We were watching them feed all day on minnows and such. Then that stopped for about an hour then start up again with the feeding. We both tossed every fly and bait we had on hand...what would have caused the cutties to be tight lipped?

We were curious because the past three time we went out, we had no problem in enticing the fish. Except for yesterday...

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: Cutthroat behavior/feeding?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »

As more and more fry emerge, your fly has more natural competition to compete with.  As well, the fish may be getting a little stuffed.  As well if your fishing the same area, you could be fishing over the same group(s) of fish, hence they become a little more educated. 

glx

RG

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »

Floating line-9ft flurocarbon leader-3ft flurocarbon tippet-fry.  Go get 'em!

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »

I was fishing for cutties on saturday and they seemed to like my micro leech patterns and no takers for minnow patterns.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

I find a fly that really stands out does the trick.

For example on the harrison, while the fry are hatching I will run my flash fly and strip in fast using a clear sink tip. I generally do very well.

You can combine this with a bunch of different things. Some days even while they are surfacing it helps to either dead drift your fly down deep or let it sink for 30 seconds then strip in fast.

Another thing I do is run a BIG minnow. Same colours as the ones around, just 5X bigger or so. When I'm doing this I use this guy:

When I'm running a normal sized minnow to match the hatch I go with these guys.... Only when they are being really picky and mostly in "the lake"

If none of that works... I'll start switching up flies... Mickey finns, The C&R a fly I created while fooling around (pic to follow), crayfish patterns, and flashy olive woolly buggers. I always tend to start with the C&R as it has done well for me on all the rivers I fish... must be a decent minnow or something along the likes.

Cheers,
Dan