Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 8 Minute Baked Mayo/Salmon, Steelhead, Trout etc.  (Read 19039 times)

Animal Chin

8 Minute Baked Mayo/Salmon, Steelhead, Trout etc.
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:46:58 AM »

Quick, easy and pretty much idiot proof recipe. I don't think you can over-cook the fish this way. The mayo keeps it moist.

You may not want to do this with your chrome fresh coho jack or straight from the salt sockeye, or if you're a purist because the mayo and spices pretty much add a lot of flavor. However, it works great for fish that's not in prime shape and even better for fish that is.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F

- Get a cookie sheet, pan, whatever you have that can go in the oven, layer of parchment paper is best, but tinfoil is fine, on top to soak in and contain some of the oil off the mayo
- Fillet of salmon, steelhead, trout you caught at Rice Lake

-Sprinkle fillet liberally with COARSE ground black pepper, a bit of sea salt, dried basil (this is what I usually always use).... or/plus whatever you think may work well, like lemon pepper, Mrs Dash, onion soup mix etc

-Slather a thick layer of mayonnaise (I use Hellmans full fat, real mayo) on fillet, covering it completely. Once again sprinkle whatever spices you used in the above step on top of the mayo.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 7 - 8 minutes depending on how thick your fillet is. You can broil for a minute on low to brown the top if you want.

Enjoy.

Goes great with pasta (I like broad egg noodles drained and tossed in heated olive oil and garlic). 

mbowers

Re: 8 Minute Baked Mayo/Salmon, Steelhead, Trout etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »

Great recipe.  To me it's very similar to Pike Place Market's Northwest Salmon Basting Seasoning mixed up in a mayo base that I use on the grill.  The fish is pricey at Pike Place but their spice mixes are very reasonable ($4).  As you said it's tough to overcook the fish with this recipe so it gives a lot of leeway to get the side dishes ready.  I usually do 25mins skin side down on the grill at medium heat.

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/buy/sauces-and-spices/show/northwest-salmon-basting-seasoning/

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

I use Club House Cajun over the mayo. Definitely an idiot proof recipe.

mbowers

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »

Made some last night and here's a picture of the great crust on the grill. 

Animal Chin

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »

Had this tonight. Perfectly done if I do say so myself... absolutely delicious. It turns out you can make it a little dry if you leave it in oven too long, or maybe if you don't put enough mayonaisse on. I made it at my buddy's place, and he has a brand new fancy super-duper oven, it was a little dry. I thought it was because the fillet had been frozen, versus fresh (refrigerated 24 hours), but nope, this piece tasted just as good as the fresh one. His oven must be better than mine.

8 minutes bake, then one on low broil, and then turned oven off but left fillet in for another 4-5 minutes until everything else was done. 2.5" wide by 1 inch thick piece.

Now I just got to work on catching myself another chromer before the end of the season. 11.5 lb fish goes quick.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:22:05 AM by Animal Chin »

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 02:09:28 AM »

brown suger over the mayo mmm the best