Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: HQ Photo of a Steelhead  (Read 1753 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Wanted: HQ Photo of a Steelhead
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »

Hi guys, I'm working on a project for a fish advocacy group and need a good picture of a steelhead to be used for fish identification literature. Surprisingly, federal fishery regulatory bodies of the pacific coast don't have very good photos on their websites of Steelhead - although the pictures of coho, chinook, chum, pink, and sockeye are both numerous and widely available.

The criteria are somewhat strict, so I apologize in advance if it is too much to ask:

Fish must be relatively fresh. Pinkish tinge on gill plate/along lateral line is fine, but double-stripers are not the best.

Fish must be facing the left, on a preferable white background. If white is not possible, then something that is a solid pale color. A white bathtub would be perfect. [Most photos of steelhead on the net aren't useful; I find most are usually being held by someone, partially in the water (which is great for C& R), on a bed of rocks, or partially covered by a fishing rod and/or other debris like sand, gravel, etc.]

It is imperative that the entire body be shown, without any covering of debris, and/or blood, as this literature is encouraging people to release steelhead. On that note, the fish also need be whole and uncleaned, without the gills sticking out, as again, I don't want to give people the wrong idea.

The tail is one of the most important parts also - as it is one of the key identification indicators. That being said, please spread the tail out so it is flat, so that the species' wide, paddle-like appearance and spots are clearly visible.

So if any of you guys who hit the flow daily and plan on [or hope to] retaining a hatchery steelhead in the next couple days (or have one sitting in your fridge right now), then I would sincerely appreciate your help in this matter. When the project is complete I will send you a copy.

Please send photos to taylorhunt@hotmail.com

This photo of a chinook salmon is absolutely ideal, and would love it if I could get a photo of a steelhead at or near the same quality:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/graphics/chinook.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Wanted: HQ Photo of a Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »

This is the closest to your requirements I could find. I also have it in higher resolution.
I am sure you can get rid of the fly with photoshop.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »

that is a very good one! could you send the higher res one over to my email taylorhunt@hotmail.com please? thanks a lot!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »

Sure, let me just find it...it has to be somewhere in my database.
Might take a while, as it is on one of my home PCs, and I am at work until tonight.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:52:54 AM by milo »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »

Picture sent as per your request.
Let me know if it works out for you.