Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad news for Chilliwack steelhead  (Read 19921 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Bad news for Chilliwack steelhead
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »

I received some bad news yesterday; due to funding shortfalls the nutrient enrichment program on the Chilliwack River system will no longer be administered by the BCCF.  Other rivers affected by this poor, shortsighted decision are the Seymour, Coquihalla, Silverhope and Statlu. Although this program relied heavily on volunteers and financial donations from various groups, it was the BCCF that organized the program and pulled it together. 
This program was science based and proved effective in increasing the size of resident salmonid fry and parr as shown by annual monitoring. Recent increases in char, wild steelhead, resident rainbow and possibly whitefish populations are due in part to this  program.
It was also the only enhancement program for wild salmonids on this the most intensely fished steelhead river in BC.  One wonders what happens to the money collected by the steelhead tag surcharge.
No doubt $$ could again be donated by various groups to extend this another year but what is needed is a long term funding plan.  Hopefully another organization or corporate sponsor will champion this program in the future. 

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Bad news for Chilliwack steelhead
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »

That sucks!

I really support this type of enhancement for select rivers and streams and would like to see it in use more often.

What kind of funds are required for one system?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »

I understand the budget for the Chilliwack was about 8K.  It really boggles the mind when you consider how much tax money is generated by this fishery.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

I understand the budget for the Chilliwack was about 8K.  It really boggles the mind when you consider how much tax money is generated by this fishery.

Dave, is that the total cost? would that be the same cost were another NGO or society to do the same and would they get permission to do so?

maybe there are other interested folks who could do something. Perhaps some businesses and anglers could chip in to a fund.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:16:38 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:00:25 PM »

Dave.

Will try to get some funds donated from the  Fraser Valley Salmon Society at our next meeting in early April. I am sure we can contribute some. ;D

Too bad our governments donot step up to the plate, they never seem to realize how much recreational angling contributes to the economy not to mention the fact that many of us enjoy angling so much during our free time.

Anyone else involved in some groups or know where some funding could be obtained that may be able to help out too?

Please let us know here you can e mail me or Rodney and then we can see if there is some financial support to try and get this off the ground.

Thanks.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »

8k is less than a dollar per member right here I am in for more than my share if there is a way Rod could collect the funds

Just a thought

I think this stream work really makes a difference

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »

8k is less than a dollar per member right here I am in for more than my share if there is a way Rod could collect the funds

Just a thought

I think this stream work really makes a difference
Thanks we will see if we get more positive responses and then maybe it can be put together to at least salvage this year for starters.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:14:52 PM by chris gadsden »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »

I'm in.

gilbey

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »

Im in X2

Nitroholic

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »

Count me in, I put a few hours in fertilizing the seymour, I'd like to put in more money and time

DevonG

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:24 PM »

I'm in to contribute. We need programs like these!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 05:56:35 AM »

Thanks to all that have stepped forward so far. We received a positive response from some group this morning that could be a great help to get this going but the more that can offer help as well as funds will be great.  ;D ;D We will keep you posted as this develops over the next month or so.

Please keep offers and ideas coming in on this thread for now.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »

posted this on FFBC in responce to some questions asked,
http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=36492&st=0&gopid=430240&#entry430240

I guess my questions are: The program has prooven it's worth in the past, Is there a requirement/benefit to keep it running ? what requirements are need of a body to oversee the continuation of this project, asuming it is still required?
The logistics of the poo placement aside. I suspect site selection and post placement surveys would need to be done who would be resposable?
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »

posted this on FFBC in responce to some questions asked,
http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=36492&st=0&gopid=430240&#entry430240

I guess my questions are: The program has prooven it's worth in the past, Is there a requirement/benefit to keep it running ? what requirements are need of a body to oversee the continuation of this project, asuming it is still required?
The logistics of the poo placement aside. I suspect site selection and post placement surveys would need to be done who would be resposable?

The benefit of continuing this program is increased prouction of river rearing juveniles.  Larger parr have better survival rates than smaller parr.  As I mentioned on Flybc, finding money to purchase the nutrients is not a problem as at least 6 groups are willing to anti up cash.  What is needed is perhaps a single organization or sponsor to administer and organize the program, ie ordering, bagging, storing the nutrients, then organizing the volunteers, and finally monitoring the results by electroshocking above and below the treatment areas.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

In.