Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kakawa Lake spanking.  (Read 5065 times)

DevonG

Kakawa Lake spanking.
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to precurse with a thanks in advance and happy to join the forums. I have used them many times for information and has always been extremely helpful.

Anyhow, I have been fishing kakawa lake this week. Well today, yesterday and Monday to be more precise. Well, in short this lake whooped my butt. I literally saw 1 fish surface all 3 days. Fly fishing on the surface (wet and dry flies), and today I sunk it down to the bottom with a pink krill. Still not a bite!

What am I doing wrong here? I heard that the lake had a MASSIVE hatch a short time ago... am I wrong to think that they are still full  :P

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. May try again tomorrow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Kakawa Lake spanking.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »

Some experts may be there tomorrow too. ;D ;D ;D

DevonG

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »

Maybe I will see you out there. Depends on work! Good luck!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »

Tough to fly fish when you don't see any fish surfacing, because they are all at the 40-50ft range. You'd need to anchor at spots around that depth and wait for schools of fish to pass by. Bites can sometimes happen right away after you send your bait down, or sometimes it may take some time (30 minutes, an hour) for something to happen. Mix your krill with some cure, I use red Pautzke Firecure so my krill end up with a pinkish colour. Make sure the head of the krill is on, because I find a headless krill almost always untouched while a krill still has its head on always gets a hit if there are fish around. Sometimes the fish are not right on or near the bottom, sometimes they are 10ft above the bottom.

Correction. ONE expert will be out there tomorrow while everyone else will be following him around. ;D ;D ;D It should be good if the weather forecast is correct...

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2010/03/26/bottom-fishing-for-kokanee/

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:32:56 PM »

whats the water temp.?
fishing is slow for me when water temps are below 45deg.

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »

It takes a lot of patience, but try wet lining some chironomids right off the bottom. Anchor is around 50ft of water and attach a heavy weight to your fly line. Let the line out until it reaches the bottom, then pull it in and take off the weight. You now know how much line is needed to cast out and sit your fly right off the bottom. Attach your favourite chironomid (or try and match what you see in the water), and put some split shot a couple feet above it. Cast out and let it sink for five minutes or so. Then slowly retrieve to the surface, or just retrieve for ten feet and repeat the process. Sometimes this is the only way to get them on the fly there and although it's not my favourite way to fish it ca be effective.

DevonG

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »

whats the water temp.?
fishing is slow for me when water temps are below 45deg.

The Temp today was 41 degrees

Anchor is around 50ft of water and attach a heavy weight to your fly line. Let the line out until it reaches the bottom, then pull it in and take off the weight. You now know how much line is needed to cast out and sit your fly right off the bottom.

That's a great trick to seeing how deep to get your line!

tMix your krill with some cure, I use red Pautzke Firecure so my krill end up with a pinkish colour. Make sure the head of the krill is on, because I find a headless krill almost always untouched while a krill still has its head on always gets a hit if there are fish around. Sometimes the fish are not right on or near the bottom, sometimes they are 10ft above the bottom.

Yes, I bought some pink (obviously dyed :P) krill from CD&T, and thats an interesting thought about the heads being on.I never even checked. All these tips are convincing me to skip work tomorrow.

You guys are making it hard to resist going out and trying my luck (skill? :P) again!
Thanks you guys, if I get anything Ill let you know!!
Devon

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:11:48 AM »

Correction. ONE expert will be out there tomorrow while everyone else will be following him around. ;D ;D ;D It should be good if the weather forecast is correct...

I guess Nina is going fishing tonorrow :)

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »

Been fishing this lake for probably 25 years now.
March is hit or miss. When late winter/early spring is cold and damp like this year.....there is a lot more miss than hit.
You said the water temps were 41. That says alot right there. Like Canso said....the temp needs to be above 45 before it starts to get decent.
Once we've had some spring weather....if you hit it right....there will be days you can't keep them off your line.

However...if you are determined to fish now.....do the chronie thing that has been suggested already. Mooching right off the bottom might produce an odd fish here or there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »

I guess Nina is going fishing tonorrow :)
I see a limit for all those involved. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »

You people missed an awesome spanking day at Kawkawa Lake today. :'( At least the scenery was breathtaking... ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 04:52:49 AM »

You people missed an awesome spanking day at Kawkawa Lake today. :'( At least the scenery was breathtaking... ;D
The story and pictures?