Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another hydro project  (Read 1204 times)

Hookbender

Another hydro project
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »

Please help save this sensitive Van Island river ,go to savethekokish.ca action must be taken.
Thanks to all.

frozensalmon

Re: Another hydro project
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

screw the pipe ! save the river !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
more coho, more coho... ::)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Another hydro project
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:07:10 AM »

Local run of the river projects are pretty harsh on rivers.  Much more so than I originally though.  It seems like a pretty good idea- divert water from above the reaches of a river populated by anadromous fish down a pipe and run it through a turbine to generate electricity.  The problem is that when the need for power is reduced the amount of water going through the diversion is drastically decreased and as a result the river drops drastically very quickly stranding adult and juvenile fish, dewatering redds.  From what I've seen locally, water can rise as fast as a foot a minute and drop almost as fast.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/run-of-river+projects+are+killing+fish+according+to+foi+documents/6442599542/story.html

Of course, the Kokish IPP isn't drawing from above the anadromous reach, they're dewatering most of the river.  This will probably spell the end for the Kokish fish populations.  Fish need water...

Its my undestanding that during the winter (peak energy consumption to heat and light homes etc) there will not be typically sufficient water flowing through the river to generate power, so how well has this been thought out???
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:08:54 AM by Matt »