Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat recommendations  (Read 4385 times)

emac

Boat recommendations
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a boat within the next few years and I have some questions about what type to buy.

Budget - 40-50k
Type of fishing - Salmon, sturgeon, Trout, possibly halibut

I foresee most of my fishing to be on the Fraser; however, I want to be able to hit the salt every once and awhile.  I'm not looking to go miles offshore but I would want to go to areas like Campbell river, Port Alberni, etc.

Getting a jet boat for the Fraser is the obvious choice.  What other options are out there that are a bit more flexible that would be good for both salt, river, and lake?

Cheers,
Emac

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Boat recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »

get a Thunderjet Alexis Offshore.
might be big for some of the small lakes, will work for the Fraser but carry a spare prop.
I see lots of Sturgeon boats with outboards

http://www.thunderjet.com/thunderjet_us_offshore_alexis_offshore.html

edit: here's a Luxor in Portland
http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/boa/2871711567.html
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:56:21 PM by canso »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »

Kind of tough to do all in one boat.

Generally:

For the river, you want a shallow running aluminum boat with a jet motor (lets you run skinny water).
For the salt, you want a deep V fiberglass boat with a prop motor (deep-V cuts through the waves).

Jets are great for avoiding rocks in the river but aren't very efficient and not the best for the salt.
But that is probably your best bet if you want to combine the two boats.

roeman

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »

If you are only going in the ocean a couple times of year I would go with a jet boat.  Taken mine out of Bamfield, Tofine and Uceulet many times.  10 - 12 miles out, a little rougher travelling but once you start fishing not a big deal.
Are you fishin or catchin

emac

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »

Very good information! Thanks for the advice everyone.  This gives me a great starting point.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:00:17 AM »

jets burn lots of fuel compared to prop. some up past 18gal. hour.

if go inboard get Fuel Injection.

carpenter

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »

used to have a fairly flat bottom lifetimer aluminum boat but it had welded chines added to it to break surface tention and make the ride better in the ocean still pounds but fast as hell also since you have a pretty good budget you might want to by a boat with an outboard so you can run propellor most of the time but also puches the jet leg best of both worlds . faster and better fuel economy with the prop and can shallow with the jet leg costly but if you want versitility a good way to go . I find the thunder jet and others in that style to be gas hogs get a boat from raider or lifetimer for a more allround boat. ;D . just bought a welded aluminum older with a 90 4 stroke yamy excellent on gas and if i had the coin would love a jet leg too . o yeah a king fisher offshore a million dollar house and every other super cool toy  ;)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »

Three thoughts:

1. A jet boat for shallow rivers its going to be miserable in waves, the flat bottom will ride rough.  A deep V hull will ride nicely in waves but won't do rivers well.  Also, they use more fuel than prop boats.

2. The tidal Fraser doesn't require a jet boat.  Not sure where on the Fraser you plan on fishing, but if its only the tidal section, a prop boat is fine.

3.  $40-50K could get you the best of boat worlds: one smaller jet boat, and a used boat with a deep V hull for waves.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »

I agree with Matt.  Buy 2 boats.  I tried to find a boat that would work for both worlds.  Not gonna happen.
I picked up a 1860 CCT DLX with a 90 HP Yamaha 4 stroke with a prop.  It's a tunnel hull.  A jet will allow you to run in 4 inches of water. With this tunnel prop design you can run it in 11" of water.  Using a jack plate on the stern you can raise the height of the motor until you are able to run it as shallow as possible without ventilating.  I jacked my motor up a couple of inches and it made a huge difference in handling (feels loose).  Put a heavily cupped 4 blade prop, and it handles like a dream.  So now I have the shallow running prop boat.   Great fuel economy, good speed, runs shallow enough for me.  However out on the ocean it's a rough ride!  Flat bottom smacks the waves hard.  Alone I can stand and absorb the bumps, but if someone was sitting in the passenger seat, it would be extremely painful.  My thought is, most of my fishing will be in the river, so flat bottom works.  However if it is calm enough out in the chuck to head out around west van some time, it's very possible.  I will just have to pick the days I decide to hit the salt.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.