Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this rod ok for steelhead fishing  (Read 5989 times)

frozensalmon

Is this rod ok for steelhead fishing
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »

7 foot daiwa spinning rod with 12lb mainline 8lb leader which i barely use after the salmon season
around 30 bucks when I bought it

my friend is going to steelhead fishing with me and he wants to borrow my spare rod
im thinking it's probably too light for steelheads?

???
more coho, more coho... ::)

cohoaaron

Re: Is this rod ok for steelhead fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »

it depends on where he is fishing, i personally would use it for chucking spoons/spinners. it is to short to comfortably float fish with though.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

you probably want a longer rod for keeping line of the water.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 05:33:47 PM »

I use an 8 foot shimano 4-10 pnd rated, medium fast action, light power rod with 8 pound braid and a 10 pnd flouro carbon leader.
Landed fish 14+ pnds on it this year and haven't had a single fight last over 5 mins... if you know how to fight a fish it'll be fine.
Also had it work good on coho and chum earlier this year off beaches and in the rivers... even a few springs but the springs were def pushing the stress factor IMO.
Generally you won't be fishing fast water with spoons any ways so location shouldn't be a problem.

Ditto on the using it to chuck spoons.
Pick up some Koho 45's in illusion or orange scale. If you can find them (probs won't be able to) get some 2/5 little cleo's either in pure nickel or with an orange flouro stripe.

Cheers
Dan

frozensalmon

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

thx for the infomation
more coho, more coho... ::)

Danube Boy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »

and advice from a pirate is sound?

I think that was rum talking.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »

Yarrrgh, here be a bad bit of advide from a greenhorn posing as a master seaman!  Aye, that jim lad does have a high post count, but he be not but a young whipper snapper too new from leaving the teat to give ye any sound advice. 

Really?

What makes my advice not sound?
How many times do I see "great rods" on here saying they played out a steely for 10-15 mins on their centre pins on their "proper rods."
IMO a "proper rod" is one that gets a fish in quick and effectively, regardless of what it is rated.
If you can fight a fish on a rod (my rule is 5 mins) then it's good enough. May put extra stress on your gear but IMO still ok on the fish as long as the fight is quick.

What exactly makes a rod too light?
If I am able to play a fish to hand in 4-5 mins on my 4-10 pnd rated rod and it takes you 10+ on your "proper rod" wouldn't that mean my rod is good enough?
In the long run my rod lands right in the middle of your 8-12 pnd test rating... so to be honest, I think you're one of those "internet dogs" that thinks he's a know it all.

Cheers

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »

The rod is just fine.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »

Can a short stiff rod bring in a fish? Aye it can. 

First of all, if you read my post it's not a cheap stiff walmart rod.
Its a high quality (wont bring price into this) Shimano, and its medium fast action, light weight and has a tonne of bend in it.

So tut tut my little one, a high post count and success on a hatchery fed river don't be making you an expert.  MA HAR HAR HAR HARRRRR!!!!!

High post count does mean nothing, you're right. It's why I never post any more, because people like you seem to know what best regardless of what other people say, even when both ways work.

And about the hatchery rivers... well I live on the island, nearest one is the Stamp which is a 50 mins drive each way and with gas at $1.37... well anyone who thinks I would drive there to fish is an idiot. I do fine on the small local flows that get 200 or less fish back a year. But you're right, I'm an idiot. And I guess the reason why you wouldn't know that I am not a fan of crowded hatchery rivers might be because I don't post any more... looping back to what I said earlier. I also never once claimed to be an expert, I said what works for me. It may not work for you and that's fine, but don't put words in my mouth.

So in short, the rod you have frozen salmon is fine for chucking spoons. If you know how to fight and control fish properly, you should have no problem landing the fish and getting it in without stressing it. IMO any fight over 6-7 mins is way too long, and I see guys doing it all the time. Maybe thats why I lose so many fish at the beach  ::)

TyCrane

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »

There be a reason why most everyone be using 10 foot or greater rods.

Aye theres a reason they use 10 foot or greater rods... they're  float fishing. ED said that a smaller rod is good for chucking spoons etc and i have to agree with him as i almost always bring a smaller spinning rod with me when i go out steelhead fishing for just that purpose. You might get into trouble if you hook into a monster, but generally what he described will serve you pretty well.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »

Yarrrgh, here be a bad bit of advide from a greenhorn posing as a master seaman!  Aye, that jim lad does have a high post count, but he be not but a young whipper snapper too new from leaving the teat to give ye any sound advice.  Heed my warnings me heartie!!! A Har har har... the internet be full of dogs!  Lend me your ear now, I will tell yee how to pick a good steelheadin' rod. 

First, yee needs to be setting a budget.  There be no sense in spending all your pieces of eight when a few saved can keep ya searching for silver longer.  Aye, a perfect rod be hard to find.  Strong, yet weak, long yet short, rigid yet flexible.  It be like picking a mast for yar sloop before heading to sea!  a har har har...  For steelheadin' ye be needing a rod that be rated for at least 8-12lbs.  This might be a bit too light still, so don't be afraid for a 10-25 rating.  The length need not matter, but many prefer at least a 10 foot rod.  In some waters, anglers use 8'6" rods, in others they use 13' rods.  If be a personal choice, but you don't want to be under gunned at battle.  Yargh, I say get a 10.5" rod and be happy with what have 'ee. 

Next be your reel, spinning, casting, centre pin, it be not but a humble choice of an angler.  I know of a masterful hobo who done catch many a steel on a reel with flashing LED lights in it.  So don't be fooled by the bells and whistles me hearty!  But it does need to hold 100 yards of line.  10-20lb line be fine.  Mono, Fluro, Braided lines? They be but personal choice my boy!  Be sure to match the line to the rating of your rod.

So your spare rod there, aye you can take it with you for your mate.  Will it be best? No.  Will the others laugh at you for your ignorance? Aye! If you actually manage to find a steelhead silly enough to bite, you may be in for a rough ride because you're mal-equipped to deal with one! Best of luck me hearty!!!!!!!

I stopped reading after yarrggh
A swung fly is the best fly.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »

I stopped reading after yarrggh

hahaha x2

fyrslyer

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »

Yarghh!!! Silence your young tongue lest ye be finding yourself swabbing the poop deck!!!

Aye ye may 'ave had some luck pulling in steel with yer rod young one. 'owever even a cabin boy knows that with a strong enough rope even the deepest stuck anchor can be heaved!  There be a reason why most everyone be using 10 foot or greater rods.  A longer rod gives ye many advantages over a short one. First be that control of the main line.  Aye, with a longer rod, 'tis easier to mend your lines and it need to be mended less.  Next, when fightin' the great mykiss, a longer rod give you more leverage and advantage at controlling the head of that fishy and swinging it your way. Then there be when you be landing a fish, the long rod helps bringing the fish to your feet.

Can a short stiff rod bring in a fish? Aye it can.  I done captured a great 28 gun spanish frigate off the shores of san catalina with not but a small brigantine and loyal crew.  But it was a fight i would not wish to attempt again without a bigger ship, more guns and crew.  When ye be out gunned on the sea, it be a lonely place indeed!  So tut tut my little one, a high post count and success on a hatchery fed river don't be making you an expert.  MA HAR HAR HAR HARRRRR!!!!!

I read the whole thing while in a pirates voice

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »

Hey ED, think you have a groupie :D :D :D

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

I read the whole thing while in a pirates voice

lol me too man, I read it at least twice, for some reason it was really funny to me

in the end though ed does know what he is talking about and when it comes to steelhead there are a lot of different ways to fish depending on ones preference

I fish a couple different rods from a super noodle 13' GLX 2 power, 3113LB, 3113MB, or 2106LB

They are all good rods with different line ratings. It really just comes down to what you feel comfortable landing a fish with.