Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first fly steel  (Read 4378 times)

hotrod

first fly steel
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »

Just thought to share that after picking up the fly rod last pink season. I was convinced that I could do the same on the fly for steelies. After all these years of gear use, I knew where those fish would be and what they would take. I believe that is half the battle. Well last weekend got out on the flow and took the fly rod, Figured I'd put some time in. Used the rod for a good four hours with no steel. Then just when I was going to put it away and start chucking gear, Had a nice 6 lb wild buck take the fly and the end of relatively nice swing. In fact right at the end just when I was going to retrieve it. A great feeling and definitely lots of fun. I have already put in an order for a switch rod n reel. Spey casting next.I'm definitely hooked.

hot(fly)rod
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:40:38 PM by hotrod »

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: first fly steel
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »

Just thought to share that after picking up the fly rod last pink season. I was convinced that I could do the same on the fly for steelies. After all these years of gear use, I knew where those fish would be and what they would take. I believe that is half the battle. Well last weekend got out on the flow and took the fly rod, Figured I'd put some time in. Used the rod for a good four hours with no steel. Then just when I was going to put it away and start chucking gear, Had a nice 6 lb wild buck take the fly and the end of relatively nice swing. In fact right at the end just when I was going to retrieve it. A great feeling and definitely lots of fun. I have already put in an order for a switch rod n reel. Spey casting next.I'm definitely hooked.

hot(fly)rod

Right on hotrod, welcome to the club.  Not exclusive by any stretch, but you need to know the secret headshake...seems like you do now.
Not all those who wander are lost

hotrod

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »

;) ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »

Sweet man! I need to get into some of that action... all I've felt is the good ole spoon pull so far  :P

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »

Awesome!  Nothing like it (I can say that with conviction finally), glad you got one!

hotrod

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »

After being out to they vedder a few times last couple weeks, I see tons of great flywater. I had been scoping out potential fly spots. Can't wait to start two handing!

hotrod

Carich980

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »

Grats on your fish. What fly did ya catch him on?

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 12:57:05 AM »

congrats!. My fly rod still hasn't lost its virginity to a steelie.

River Fisherman

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »

Good for you and congrats to your first steelhead on the fly. The first one is always one of, if not the most memorable ones.

Loop

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »

Nice work do you have any pictures?

hotrod

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »

Unfortunately no Pics! I was so happy and just wanted to make sure it got back quickly and safely! I was so excited , actually, That I just enjoyed the moment and let it go without even a thought of a pic! Currently I have a nice switch rod combo on order, Nothing fancy but what I would consider middle of the road in terms of quality. Believe me I have been doing lots of homework when it comes to rod n reel combo and future scenarios with regard to moving up to straight up spey rod. If all goes well I'll be passing the switch to my son then going full spey. I think half my excitement came from knowing that this was something new that I could do with  kids! I certainly have been collecting file over the years so I have a big supply.Nothing but happiness on the river and memories for life with or without the family!

Hotrod