Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New fly fisherman looking for help  (Read 5088 times)

alan701

New fly fisherman looking for help
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:06:52 PM »

So I'm brand new to fly fishing and fly tying and really looking forward to trying it out for the first time. I'm coming from level wind fishing in the rivers and spincasting so I'm not totally new to fishing. I want to buy a fly fishing and fly tying outfit sometime soon, keeping the price fairly low if possible, and I did some research but I'd like to get opinions.

I looked around for vises and kits and I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASGs-14-FLY-TYING-KIT-VISE-TOOLS-BLISTER-PACKED-FREIGHT-FREE-/150803361407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231c94ae7f it has a ceramic insert bobbin but I'm not so sure about the vise.
And I just saw this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASGs-FLY-TYING-KIT-7-ITEMS-AA-VISE-TOOLS-takes-all-hooks-FREIGHT-FREE-/120902270885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c26563fa5 less tools but the vise looks better. I plan on tying jigs for chum as well but I don't know where to get jig heads with nice hooks or the pins and beads like these so I can use my own hooks: http://bentrods.ca/product/25-do-it-yourself-jig-pack

For the rod and reel I'd to go to the tackle store, I usually go to, and look around and see what they have first but I figure most well known brands like pflueger are good? I know for level wind most people recommend shimano and abu (c3 c4) reels, shimano, trophy xl rods, etc so I could be wrong about fly fishing. I plan on fishing lake trout and fraser pinks so I figure a 6 wt 9 foot will be good.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: New fly fisherman looking for help
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »

My understanding are that these are cheap regal knock-off vises made offshore. The jaws may be made of good steel or they could break on the first hook.
These kits (as well as the Dragonfly kits available locally) are generally low quality everything - good scissors are crucial for example.

If you live in the Lower Mainland (or more populated areas outside the LM) there are a number of low cost groups (i.e. $5 for room rental) that get together and tie flies (well, they mostly BS). They even provide loaner equipment to give it a try. Of course tackle shops offer tying courses as well.
I would expect after trying it out you would have a good idea of what you would need to start and would go to a tackle shop and buy only what you need at a much better value.

For Chum or any large salmon I would recommend starting with good hooks. Bass jig hooks like those sold on ebay will straighten on the smallest chumlie. Heavy wire jig hooks are difficult to obtain, though Bent Rod and most tackle stores sell kits with pins and beads. Unless you are tying a lot (i.e. hundreds) this is the cheapest way to go.

As for rod and reel, finding a used starter setup is usually the best way to go. Troll the classifieds here and other message boards and you can often find great stuff. Pfleuger would probably not be my first choice for a lighter fly reel and I don't even know if they sell rods. Perhaps if you gave us an idea of your budget we could give better advice here, since there is a huge range in price.

YetiHunter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »

When it comes to fly tying, craigslist can be a good friend. Once in a while you will find someone getting rid of all their fly tying gear at a fraction of what its worth.

I think I'd watch for that before I'd buy a kit.

When I started tying, I started collecting scissors - and I found out right away,  the cheap ones just don't cut it. (pun intended) Cheap scissors will only aggravate you, buy quality scissors and you will be much happier in the long run.

I used a cheap vise for the first couple years and didn't really have a problem. Collected lots of materials here and there - eventually you have more than you realize.

alan701

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:51 AM »

Thanks for the replies. For the rod and reel I'm not looking for anything high-end like sage.. something more average that is well known and built. I went to my local tackle store but they had mainly high-end. I plan on going to yeagers sometime and having a good look. I dont think they have brands like dragonfly.. according to their site they have berkley, daiwa, penn, etc. I know it would be more helpful if I went there and wrote down the rods and reels they have. So I'm looking at less than $80 for the rod and.. less than $60 for reel. I don't know fly fishing stuff so my numbers might be off... I figure it's like spincasting and not as expensive as level-winds. I'll look for individual kit materials as well and see if it's cheaper. For jig materials I will keep on looking. Might be able to tie weightless jigs and use a splitshot

joshhowat

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:39:14 PM »

Spent your money on a descent rod as for the reel just get something that holds the line.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:03:54 PM »

Army and Navy in Vancouver have some good deals on 9' 6 weights and reel and floating line in your kind of price range $150 or less, TFO, Daiwa, Amundson etc they will all do the job.

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »

I agree with the other responses, and would suggest that you buy the best fly rod that will allow you to stay within your budget. You might not necessarily notice the difference between a high-end rod at this time in your development, so don't let them pressure into one, unless you can justify the cost. Besides, you can always upgrade at a later date and keep your first rod as a back up rod or loaner for friends that you're trying to introduce to fly fishing as well...

The reel is the part that you can really scrimp on and save money on, and perhaps you'll be able to find a suitable reel and rod by posting an ad in the classified section of this forum.
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

alan701

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »

Sounds good. I keep reading that the reel is not as important but I don't know why. I just looked at centerpin reels and they are very similar so if I am able to palm a fly reel without using the drag to land pinks then I understand why a cheap reel is okay. As long as the reel has some drag to avoid free spooling. I know for level-wind a good reel is important. Very helpful replies thanks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:18:30 PM by alan701 »

alan701

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »

I ended up getting a 9 feet kufa 5-6 wt rod $55 and pflueger purist reel on amazon for $29.99 spooled with 6 wt line. I have a kufa salmon rod and I've really liked it so far. I liked the medalist at the store but apparently they stopped making them and it was too light for my rod without line. The reel said 4 1/2 so I think the reel was for 4 wt rods.. might have meant a 4 oz reel. The guy at yeagers took me outside and gave me some fly fishing lessons as well haha. Did some practicing.

Carich980

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »

Sounds like you got what you were looking for, I would take any money you got left over and invest it into a quality fly line that matches the rod properly. I prefer Rio lines but its all preference, Airflo is another good line company. Otherwise you'll likely become frustrated when trying to cast it with any accuracy, distance or wind.

A 5/6 wt will work awesome for all the belly boat lakes and some of the smaller to avg size salmon in the smaller rivers. If you get into a big sized fish on the river you will get into some trouble, Just point your rod straight at him and break him off so you don't lose your whole outfit.

Check out Spey rods if you got time to kill, they are awesome to fish rivers with. I think most people start with Single hand and move into Two hand at some point.

For Fly tying, I just went  out and got the necessary components and started attending local fly tying nights and any classes put on by the local shops. YouTube is a great way to learn different patterns and techniques.

The hardest part about learning Fly fishing is leaving your gear tackle at home and learning how to catch the fish all over again.