Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Gun Registry Gasps Final Breath  (Read 6270 times)

purple monster

Re: Long Gun Registry Gasps Final Breath
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »

What if they are not able to separate the data???  What if its is only another sham from the conservatives?   What if their rush to destroy the date is only a coverup, where they are unable to separate the information or the task will be enormous and very expensive ????

It seems to me that the conservative are not very open on the process of eliminating this information.   Maybe all they want to do is to make you, and Quebec believe that the data is destroyed, but yet, are really unable to do so without huge costs and delays.

From the information I have seen, all the gun registry is all together with license info, hand guns, restricted arms and so forth.  How do you separate the long gun ???

Pretend and lye about it?????

I would trust them a bit on that issue.  We will probably never know.  Or lets see if one of the Harperian can clarified on the process of elimination.  Maybe Russ Hiebert can do it?????????????

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »

What if they are not able to separate the data???  What if its is only another sham from the conservatives?   What if their rush to destroy the date is only a coverup, where they are unable to separate the information or the task will be enormous and very expensive ????

It seems to me that the conservative are not very open on the process of eliminating this information.   Maybe all they want to do is to make you, and Quebec believe that the data is destroyed, but yet, are really unable to do so without huge costs and delays.

From the information I have seen, all the gun registry is all together with license info, hand guns, restricted arms and so forth.  How do you separate the long gun ???

Pretend and lye about it?????

I would trust them a bit on that issue.  We will probably never know.  Or lets see if one of the Harperian can clarified on the process of elimination.  Maybe Russ Hiebert can do it?????????????

I bet you also believe that the US government bombed their own world trade center......   ::)

The hand gun registry has existed a long time and the records were there before the silly long gun registry was started. The long guns would be identified as long guns so it will be very easy to get rid of that data. Separating it will be easier than separating a basket of apples and oranges. The minute the long gun registry is abolished the data is immediately obsolete. The reason is, most of us will be burning our registration papers, selling some guns and buying others.

The farmers and hunters in Quebec know as well as us that this registry was useless from the beginning. They don't want it duplicated in Quebec either. Getting rid of the registry is the right thing to do whether you are French or English!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

purple monster

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »

I am not saying that it is right or wrong, useful or not,  but, it seems very weird to me that they are so reluctant on allowing provincial parties to retain the information or not.  Beside, wasn't the gun registry created by each individual provinces anyway?????   What about the cost to delete the registry ? Why are they so shy on that one??????????

to conclude, I will remain very cautious and uncertain on just about anything the Harper government put out.   

And to answer on the U.S. comment,  I don't trust the U.S. much more than our current government.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »

I am not saying that it is right or wrong, useful or not,  but, it seems very weird to me that they are so reluctant on allowing provincial parties to retain the information or not.  Beside, wasn't the gun registry created by each individual provinces anyway?????   What about the cost to delete the registry ? Why are they so shy on that one??????????

to conclude, I will remain very cautious and uncertain on just about anything the Harper government put out.   

And to answer on the U.S. comment,  I don't trust the U.S. much more than our current government.

The Feds under Chretien created the registry. If a province wants to implement it they will have to deal with their voters, the feds aren't going to help them and they shouldn't. If the registry was useless in BC it is also useless in Quebec. As I said before the data is obsolete the moment the registry is eliminated and it would be silly for a province to implement a registry based on obsolete data. It's also impractical to have a provincial registry. Would that mean I would have to register my guns in Quebec if I wanted to hunt there? Remember no criminals have ever registered their weapons in any province and that's what the registry was supposed to be protecting us from....

When you press the delete key on a computer it doesn't cost anything. The government has already promised to assimilate the workers into other government jobs(great thing about a government job). Leases on the office space will have to be terminated. I don't know what it will cost but I would venture to say it's a fraction of what the registry has already cost us, for no measurable benefit.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

purple monster

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

The government can claim that they actually delete the info all they want,  I still have my doubts.   But, of course preventing any access will make it very difficult to tell , if indeed they do delete  the info.  In any case, nice to see that some confidence remains in this government.

Remember, control, alt and delete does not always work.

buzzbomb

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »

Alwaysfishin I suppose it is naive to say the gun registry is the sole reason the tories won but I think it scored them a lot of votes.  I‘m not sure about eliminating all the collected info - police all want the intelligence if it“s available.  If they‘re responding to a call and the guy is known to have a pile of guns they‘d like to know that when they go if possible.  Purplemonster, lots of crimes, and some terrible high profile ones are commited with registered guns, and that‘s part of why the registry doesn‘t work.  The Saskachewan Wildlife Federation was putting out ads calling for a minimum 5 or 7 year sentence for crimes commited with a firearm in about 1968 and there still isn‘t a minimum.  They were trying to head off the FAC program that came 10 years later.
5% Alc./Vol.