Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Government must protect orca habitat: court  (Read 4882 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Government must protect orca habitat: court
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »

Government must protect orca habitat: court
By Judith Lavoie, timescolonist.com February 10, 2012

The federal government is legally bound to protect killer whale critical habitat, the federal Court of Appeal ruled Thursday.

The precedent-setting ruling, which follows a federal court decision last April, could affect fishing and vessel traffic in the Strait of Georgia and Juan de Fuca Strait — critical habitat for endangered southern resident killer whales — and the Queen Charlotte Strait and Johnstone Strait — critical habitat for threatened northern resident killer whales.

"I think it has to affect it," said Margot Venton, staff lawyer for Ecojustice, which acted for a coalition of conservation groups, including the David Suzuki Foundation, Greenpeace, Wilderness Committee, Georgia Strait Alliance, Raincoast Conservation Foundation, Sierra Club and Dogwood Initiative.

Details, such as how much salmon is needed by whales, are likely to be worked out in resident killer whale recovery planning workshops being led by Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

"This is good news for all the endangered species in Canada," Venton said.

"This decision will clarify how government can proceed with all their recovery plans." There are 90 endangered and threatened marine species listed under the Species at Risk Act and all depend on healthy habitats to survive, Venton said.

The Court of Appeal ordered the government to pay costs to Ecojustice.

Last year the federal court ruled in favour of Ecojustice and Judge James Russell criticized the behaviour of DFO saying the department behaved in an "evasive and obstructive way." He then awarded Ecojustice $80,000 in legal costs.

The court said all aspects of whale habitat must be protected, including food supply and quality of their marine environment.

However, DFO appealed the ruling and argued that there are discretionary provisions in the Fisheries Act for protecting critical habitat. Under the Species at Risk Act, critical habitat protection is mandatory.

"The original ruling and now the Court of Appeal's judgment have confirmed that the fate of killer whales should not be left to the discretion of politicians," Venton said. "These whales must be protected by law.

"They need spaces to feed, breed and raise their young if their populations are going to survive and recover."

Venton said she was surprised by DFO's decision to appeal the original decision, especially after the judge said DFO hid behind procedural arguments and wasted "the court's time and judicial resources."

DFO spokeswoman Lara Sloan said the department is reviewing the decision and determining the next steps.

"The government of Canada continues to be committed to meeting its obligations under SARA," she said.

No figures are currently available to show how much the court case and appeal have cost the federal government, Sloan said.

jlavoie@timescolonist.com
© Copyright © The Victoria Times Colonist
http://www.timescolonist.com/technology/Government+must+protect+orca+habitat+court/6130598/story.html

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Government must protect orca habitat: court
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »

--I'm certain that if more salmon for the Orca's is required it will come first from the recreational fishery... Heck as a precautionary measure lets just shut it down until the studies are done. 

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »

B.C. killer whale habitat protection ruled a legal duty

The federal minister of fisheries has no discretion when it comes to protecting the critical habitat of B.C.'s southern resident killer whales, the Federal Court of Appeal has ruled.

The precedent-setting case relates to the Species at Risk Act (SARA).

"We are thrilled with the court's decision and we now look forward to the opportunity to get on with the work of actually protecting the whales," remarked Margot Venton, a lawyer with Ecojustice, an environmental law firm that fought the case on behalf of nine environmental groups.

In a statement issued Friday, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans said it would not comment until it had completed a review of the decision.

The case stems from the plight of southern B.C.'s iconic marine mammal. At last count, there were 87 animals left in the southern orca population that lives in and around Vancouver Island and the Southern Gulf Islands. The group was listed as endangered under the Species at Risk Act in 2003.

Fisheries and Oceans came up with a plan protect the whales and their critical habitat, but left certain elements up to the discretion of the minister.

The court said all elements of the plan must be enshrined in law. That would mean protecting chinook salmon, the whales' main food source, reducing underwater noise from boat, industrial and military activity and cleaning up toxic contamination in the whales' home ecosystem.

Species at Risk Act a 'blunt instrument'

The court ruling could cause problems for B.C.'s sport fishermen. A large part of the whale's diet is chinook salmon and some of those fish may have to be set aside for the whales.

"The need to ensure that killer whales have an adequate diet is a tricky issue," said Gerry Kristianson, chair of the Sport Fishing Advisory Board and a Pacific salmon commissioner. He argues that reducing the sport harvest of chinook doesn't mean that orcas will necessarily benefit.

But Kristianson said he wasn't surprised by the court's decision and he expressed sympathy for the federal department.

"SARA is a blunt instrument," he said, adding he believes Fisheries and Oceans was trying to live up to the spirit of SARA. The problem is that whoever drafted SARA wasn't thinking of the implications for marine animals, Kristianson said.

Kristianson cited the noise pollution example.

"Will this require them to stop ferry traffic between the mainland and Vancouver Island?"

On the other hand, commercial fishermen are happy with the decision.

"There are a lot of things that we would need to be doing to protect killer whales that would affect other areas of the sea," said David Lane, the environment director for the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union.

Lane said dealing with pollution in the southern resident orcas' home would benefit all species in the area. Chinook salmon is not a commercial fish species.

Fisheries and Oceans can seek leave to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court of Canada.

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/bc-killer-whale-habitat-protection-ruled-a-legal-duty

And here's the letter I just sent to the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union:

In today's CBC article: http://news.ca.msn.com/local/british...d-a-legal-duty David Lane noted "Chinook salmon is not a commercial fish species."

This comes at quite the surprise to all of us In Area G Troll who have been squeezed into a "Chinook Only" fishery for many many years now. I strongly suggest that Mr. Lane rectify this error as soon as he possibly can!

Would also appreciate hearing back on his efforts in this regard!

Sincerely,

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »

--I'm certain that if more salmon for the Orca's is required it will come first from the recreational fishery... Heck as a precautionary measure lets just shut it down until the studies are done.

Could you please expand on the "tone" of this post?  I am not sure how to take it.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Burbot

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »

I assume Harper will appeal. But this is a good ruling for the Orca's. (I would say whales but Orca's are not whales but the largest members of the dolphin family :) )

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:24:56 PM »

--For sure on the tone... once courts are involved... negotiation and reason is out the window.  ie it becomes much more expensive .. to agree or disagree with decisions made and forget decisions made in our lifetime... I keep faith in the "faint hope clause" that some management plans will evolve within my lifetime.  

--Let them eat (cake) Seals.. This is the old wolf/caribou dilemma... do we kill one to protect the other? Both may be species at risk.
--As frustrating as our current management or lack there of system is... I suggest... involvement of the courts will..... well let me just say I was going to have a beer but have now decided to have a Rum.

coby

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »

Well this could put a real damper on the proposed  OIL  TANKER  ROUTE  TO  CHINA.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:42:17 PM by coby »

StillAqua

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

I bet Harper and his boys in Ottawa will be working hard over the next year or two to dilute, amend or repeal the Species At Risk Act. It's getting in their way....... >:(

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »

--a taste of the future..... Check out  California's MPA's... marine protected areas which came into effect Jan 31.

--Surprise.. Surprise... well not really ... the major restriction is area closed to fishing... and no hope for reopen to fishing unless... studies indicate it is OK to do so... the result.. no fishing anytime soon. you can pull this one out of a time capsule in 20 years it is a no brain-er that fishing has an effect on fish stocks so even if it can be demonstrated that some form of quota or other recreational fishing regulations will minimise the effect, the fishing closure will be kept in place as a precautionary measure.
--Fishers complained they were not given full consultation.... environmentalists complained fishers had to much say.
--Fishers complained the only action taken was to close fishing... there is no pollution reduction requirements nor measures other than endless studies..
--As is now commonly accepted....research funding skews results...studies proposed that would tend to justify the importance of the MPA's will get the funding... whereas studies that are proposed to indicate a reduction of the area size or that areas should allow fishing... will have to be funded by fishing groups... even if these studies indicate regulated fishing should be allowed they will be dismissed as bias because of where the funding came from.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »

I wonder how much anti salmon farming funding that comes from commercial fishers, sport fisher and other groups that use these waterways gets redirected to initiatives like this?

The sport, commercial fishers, and native fisheries may want to re- evaluate the the intentions of the environmental groups they support or at least take a hard look and what these groups want to do further down the road.  

This does not mean I do not support protecting orcas and habitat.  I think it is very important.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:45 AM »

I wonder how much anti salmon farming funding that comes from commercial fishers, sport fisher and other groups that use these waterways gets redirected to initiatives like this?

The sport, commercial fishers, and native fisheries may want to re- evaluate the the intentions of the environmental groups they support or at least take a hard look and what these groups want to do further down the road.  

This does not mean I do not support protecting orcas and habitat.  I think it is very important.
If it was not for environmental groups don't you think things would be a lot worse. It appears FOC is going to be gutted further with pending Federal cutbacks. People in the habitat division are concerned if they will have a job in the future.

Who then is going to speak up and try to protect our fish and their habitat in rivers and the ocean?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »

Court ruling could impact local fishery

Regional director Mike Hicks is concerned for salmon fishery.

By Pirjo Raits - Sooke News Mirror
Published: February 15, 2012 5:00 AM

A ruling by the federal Court of Appeal could have mammoth ramifications for the Sooke and the Juan de Fuca says Mike Hicks, regional director for the Juan de Fuca Electoral Area.

On February 9, a precedent-setting ruling, stipulates that the federal government is legally bound to protect the killer whale habitat in both the southern straits as well as the northern straits.

“The environmental groups have been fighting with DFO (Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans) over protection of Southern Vancouver Island orcas and they won their case,” said a distressed Hicks. With the forced protection of the orcas’ habitat Hicks fears a loss of fishing for chinook salmon. The chinook are part of the orca’s diet.

“DFO might be looking at some scary regulations,” said Hicks. “They could shut down the chinook fishery on the Juan de Fuca Strait or whale watching boats.”

He said, here you have DFO pulling the plug on the dam on DeMamiel Creek knowingly sacrificing the habitat of the Juan de Fuca orcas’ food source.

“Sooke and Southern Vancouver Island residents are happy to help the orcas, but they are concerned they are shouldering 100 per cent of the pain,” said Hicks, in reference to the impact it would make on local recreation fishers and the work being done by salmon enhancement groups. He said that in Sooke from spring to mid-July chinook fishing is restricted to protect the early Fraser River chinook run.

He also wondered what the allocation would be for the recreational fishery.

“These are confusing times,” said Hicks. “Sooke people really need to monitor this. The court decision ito protect the habitat of the Southern Vancouver Island orca, their diet is chinook salmon. I’m happy for the orcas but concerned for the Average Joe in Sooke.”

Hicks said he wasn’t running around saying the “sky is falling” but if they come in with severe restrictions it will have an impact.
“I’m not trying to alarm residents but to make them aware of a major, major court decision. Be watchful,” said Hicks.

He reiterated that DFO should not be pulling the plug on the Bill James dam on DeMamiel Creek because now they have to protect the habitat of the salmon which are necessary for the orcas.

Adam Silverstein, South Coast Area Chief, Ecosystems Management Branch Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region stated in an email to Glen Varney, who represents various stakeholders, that the Department (in regard to the dam) has offered to transfer the license and the associated maintenance responsibilities to any interested community partner.

The federal court action was brought about by a coalition of nine environmental groups under the banner of Ecojustice.

On the website, they state that their “victory” draws a legal line in the sand and has given them a powerful legal tool they are prepared to use if necessary.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »

Thats it keep it up pretty soon there wont be any ocean fisheries for anyone period. Im all for conservation but this is getting to be rediculous to the extreme. What will these eco groups target next....only thing left, fresh water fisheries.
Take the T out of Morton.