Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 22 amps in reverse with a minn kota  (Read 2342 times)

camtheman

22 amps in reverse with a minn kota
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »

anybody have any thoughts on why I would have a 22 amp draw in reverse?  the prop is not turning and the amp clamp reads 22. something
forward fine and 3 ish amps

thanks
cam

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: 22 amps in reverse with a minn kota
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »

I thought that if you keep it in reverse your going to run down the battery. Try to go forward.

Maybe there is some electrical type fishing/mechanical wizz on this site who can shed some other observation. What type of poundage on that Minn and battery year and type.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »

You could try calling Mikes Reel repair as they are the local repair shop for MinnKota i believe.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:21:47 AM »

Is it the maximazer type? They have extensive drive system. Your motor driving forward ok indicates short in  circuitry. Possibly triac or thyrystor output stage?  Nothing you can resolve yourself I'm afraid. But if you are in Okanagan I could help 8). I work in electronic service shop.

fisher man

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »

the motor is siezed in reverse and that is the locked motor current. Im not a mechanic but as soon as you fix the mechanical issue, the electrical will be fine.

camtheman

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »

not seized at all  in reverse  i can spin it freely by hand

fisher man

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »

The motor is siezing, not the prop. The reverse mechanism, which i'm not familiar with is not engaging. the motor needs to have a load(resistance), if not the motor is a dead short or locked motor current. The motor needs the drive shaft (prop) to work. My opinion is luck into why the reverse is not kicking in.
Cheers hope it helps.

doja

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »

The motor is siezing, not the prop. The reverse mechanism, which i'm not familiar with is not engaging. the motor needs to have a load(resistance), if not the motor is a dead short or locked motor current. The motor needs the drive shaft (prop) to work. My opinion is luck into why the reverse is not kicking in.
Cheers hope it helps.

Can it cause damage from being locked out?

If I recall correctly, is the LMC basically the resistance of the coil as opposed to the normal operation (with less current) with a choking field (for lack of proper term) due to the induction?

fisher man

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »

Yes it will burn out the motor. stop running it until you can fix it. Doja it's been 15 years since i was in 3rd year school so its all kinda blurry.However you are kinda right , but it's counter induction that the motor needs as the resistance.Which is created when the motor drives the shaft. I could try to explian it but i would propably just make it worse, so i checked it out on google and its all there. Just punch in "how does a dc motor work". you'll see that the armature chases the North-south polarized magnets, that causes the armature to turn in a certian direction. If you want the opposite direction then you have to change the polarity of the magnets. In this case i believe that what ever changes the magnets is the problem.

doja

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »

Thanks. Been a while since I've done motor theory.... counter induction, yup that's it. Was pretty sure it would burn her out.