Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rookie Flyer  (Read 2630 times)

DanNagt

Rookie Flyer
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »

Hey folks.

Since finding the renewed interest in fishing, I'd thought it a fun goal to learn how to fly fish this year. So, to that end and with the help and encouragement of my wife, I think I'm all geared up to go. Dennyman sold me a 9' 9WT Fenwick and a 9' 6WT TFO with all the fixings (line, leader, reel, etc) at the November swap meet in Chilliwack and I've since picked up a selection of dry and wet flies and lures. I was also given a set of Bare waders (little bit baggy - that okay?) and picked up some felt bottom boots and a fly jacket. Also been reading up with the L.L.Bean Fly Fishing Handbook and the Flyfishing by Furzer books with leaders in hand trying to practice knots. It's been a studious winter.

That all said, I plan to head out to the 'wack tomorrow to give it a shot for my first attempt at trying to at least cast decently. Having gone out before I'm not worried about where to go - I'm worried about looking like an idiot, invading the space of others (which of course won't happen if I watch where I'm going - usually pretty good that way).

Not really sure I had a point to this post other than to wave and say "Hello, I've joined the club" so to speak.

Cheers!
Daniel in Burnaby

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Rookie Flyer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »

Welcome!I think for salmon you are set up prety good.also you 6 wt will be good for bull trout as well! Maybe a bit over kill for some rainbows tho.I just started fly fishing too 3 years ago and I love it and we all have a lot to learn and practice . There are many pros on this site that have a wealth of owlet that will help out too. Good luck tomorrow! I hope you hook a steelie for your first outing! Not that you will need to to be hooked yourself!

RonniePache

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »

Hey Dan,
I'm also a pretty green fly fisher, spending most of my life back east as a "gear" bass fisher.  Been out here for a few years and slowly gettting into the fly game, but I must admit it is intimidating to see guys out there with awsome casting ability, as I struggle.  I do alot of trolling in the Sasquatch park lakes, with leaches etc....  I have two tubes, and a 10ft fiberglass, so if you want to hit up those lakes in the spring, let me know.   I also hit up Mill Lake a fair bit as I live in Abby.
Ron

DanNagt

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »

Got out onto the water again this past weekend and normally wouldn't reply for such a minor event but since it was made more than just a knot tying / casting practice trip - I thought it worth the time and space.

With line all wrapped up on the way off the river, an older gentleman who'd been upstream from where I'd been casting called over with the expressed intent that I wasn't leaving until I got a lesson from him. His expression and desire to share his passion of fly fishing was very evident as he took the time from his outing to check out my gear (which was all knotted up by this point), show me where I was going wrong in my cast, and provide me with some imagery and tips to practice with.

This one I'm sure I'll never forget - "Don't conduct the orchestra! Fling the water from the cup as far backward and as far forward as possible without tipping the cup."

After practicing this under his watchful eye, I managed to unfurl the line somewhat gracefully out onto the river a couple times with his approval.

So.. Thank you Sasha!

YetiHunter

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »

Nice to know there are people out there willing to help someone new to the sport.

The one piece of advice I would give to anyone learning how to throw a fly line is - don't try and cast far until you get the timing down. The biggest mistake I see people make is trying to throw too much line before they are comfortable with their gear.

I don't golf, but my golfing friends tell me it's much the same in that sport. People try to pulverise the ball instead of trying to hit it straight down the fairway without worriying about distance.