Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Denmark Dolphin Massacre  (Read 8209 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Denmark Dolphin Massacre
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »

Something that is going around on Facebook....

Denmark is a big shame.

The sea is stained in red and it is not because of the climate effects of nature. It's because of the cruelty of the human beings (civilized human) who kill hundreds of the famous and intelligent Calderon dolphins.

This happens every year in Feroe Island in Denmark . In this slaughter the main participants are young teens.

WHY?
A celebration, to show that they are adults and mature!

In this big celebration, nothing is missing for the fun. Everyone is participating in one way or the other, killing or looking at the cruelty supporting like a spectator

Is it necessary to mention that the dolphin Calderon, like all the other species of dolphins, it's near extinction and they get near men to play and interact.
In a way of PURE friendship.

They don't die instantly; they are cut 1, 2 or 3 times with thick hooks. And at that time the dolphins produce a grim cry like that of a new born child.

But he suffers and there's no compassion while this magnificent creature slowly dies in its own blood

Its enough!

We will publish until this post goes around the world that many more people will know about this shameful Dannish acts.

Take care of the world, it is your home!

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Denmark Dolphin Massacre
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »

I just googled this and I came upon a scene not seen since the japanese slaughter of dolphins. Disgusting is putting it mildly. The video I started to watch was over ten minutes long, I could only watch 1 minute. It is so sad that mankind thinks it is so above the other creatures that inhabit our planet that we could so wantonly slaughter like this. And to the dolphin of all creatures.

Sad is all I can say, so very sad.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:00 AM »

It's unbelievable really. Whenever I have been in Denmark, dolphin meat is on most restaurant menus. It's a traditional diet that the Danish people are not willing to give up. Nina has it sent to Canada on a monthly basis. ;D

Good concern, but you're barking up the wrong tree. Faroe Islands have been self-governing since 1948.

Wikipedia is your best friend
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:17:31 AM by Rodney »

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:35 AM »

mmmh...dolphin meat...  ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »

Maybe they should start farming them.....   ???  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »

As an ad on this site say's "swim with dolphins and relax"

Then take a big bite out of them. Lot's of harbour seals around here that could suffice. Could even mislable their fins and sell as shark.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »

It's unbelievable really. Whenever I have been in Denmark, dolphin meat is on most restaurant menus. It's a traditional diet that the Danish people are not willing to give up. Nina has it sent to Canada on a monthly basis.

Good concern, but you're barking up the wrong tree. Faroe Islands have been self-governing since 1948.

Wikipedia is your best friend

Yeah I forgot that Denmark's history involved the Vikings.. very understandable that they had dolphin as part of their diet. I think people are complaining how they are slaughtering them in the water with hooks which is rather cruel. Then again cruelty creates fear.. and we all know Vikings were pretty "badass" in history.

I guess the sad fact is nobody is willing to give up their "cultural practices", so to save some dolphins I'll try my best to consume more shark fin so there is less predators for them in the ocean!  8)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »

You've missed my point as usual by trying so hard to create an argument.

Yep, hooking a dolphin by its blow hole is cruel in my opinion. I don't know enough about the practice to comment further about it.

What I was pointing out in the previous post is that this has very little to do with Denmark, if any.

As I said to liketofish in the other post. The difference between you two and me is, you think these are racial/cultural issues, I don't.

Forget the cruelty part, the current demand for shark fins by those who can afford them is posing a threat on global shark populations. You either don't get it or deliberately choose to be oblivious.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »

Regarding the impact that the Danish and Japanese have on these animals, I found this in Wikipedia.

"The IUCN lists both species as "Data Deficient" in the Red List of Threatened Species. The North and Baltic Sea subpopulations of long-finned pilot whales have been listed in Appendix II of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS). However, recent data on movements in the northwest and northeast Atlantic suggest that these subpopulations should also be included in Appendix II of CMS.[1] The short-finned pilot whale is listed on Appendix II of CITES.[2]"

I understand with the population of China, having a growing population being able to afford this could be deadly for the shark population, but from what I've read (correct me if i'm wrong) the Danish and Japanese eat Whale meat quite often similar to us eating a chicken breast or steak in North America. But what is scary is that these Whales/dolphins are not being farmed like we do with cows and chickens, so it is very likely that they will go extinct.

I dont care about the race factor either because I think any practices that create a threat to a species should be monitored and controlled. But i admit that I do like dolphins/whales a lot more than sharks, so apologies if my comment sounds biased. About the eating Shark Fin soup, I was just joking... Last time I had Shark Fin was probably 3 years ago.

StillAqua

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »

If you're talking about the Faroe Island Pilot Whale harvest, they aren't in any real danger of going extinct from the numbers harvested but the people that eat them might....they have one of the highest PCB/DDT/mercury contents of any fish or animal in the sea and even the FI health officials don't recommend them for human consumption. It's payback baby.......

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »

If you're talking about the Faroe Island Pilot Whale harvest, they aren't in any real danger of going extinct from the numbers harvested but the people that eat them might....they have one of the highest PCB/DDT/mercury contents of any fish or animal in the sea and even the FI health officials don't recommend them for human consumption. It's payback baby.......

amen

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »

Regarding the impact that the Danish and Japanese have on these animals, I found this in Wikipedia...

You're still not getting it, so I'll do my best to dissect my previous posts.

- Danish people don't eat whales and dolphins. You'd starve to death in Denmark if those are the only meat you want to eat.
- Faroe Island people don't consider themselves as Danes.
- The population of Faroe Island is <50k, population of China is 26,000+ times more.
- Less than 1,000 pilot whales are harvested by Faroe Islands each year. Between 26-73 million sharks are harvested for their fins each year.
- One wrong doesn't right the other. Diverting attention on a problem by putting spotlight on another doesn't make it disappear, it simply delays it.

"The IUCN lists both species as "Data Deficient" in the Red List of Threatened Species. The North and Baltic Sea subpopulations of long-finned pilot whales have been listed in Appendix II of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS). However, recent data on movements in the northwest and northeast Atlantic suggest that these subpopulations should also be included in Appendix II of CMS.[1] The short-finned pilot whale is listed on Appendix II of CITES.[2]"

What was the point of this entire paragraph being C&Ped? What is appendix two? If anything, it suggests that both species are not endangered and the harvest is sustainable. Just because the term "threatened species" is found in a paragraph, it doesn't make the species being discussed threatened.

C&Ping a section of the text and filtering out the rest in an attempt to support one's POV is never a good practice, especially when it's widely available to everyone.

Surveys of the size of the Northeast Atlantic pilot whale population have been conducted by the North Atlantic Marine Mammal Commission. These surveys converged on a figure of 778,000 pilot whales. [16] The pilot whale is not registered as an endangered species.

In its Red List of Threatened Species the International Union for Conservation of Nature lists both the Long-finned and Short-finned Pilot Whales with "Data Deficient" status according to its 2008 assessment. In a previous assessment in 1996 the organization listed the species in the "Lower Risk/least concern" category. However, the IUCN also says that with the NAMMCO-estimated population size of 778,000 in the eastern North Atlantic, with approximately 100,000 around the Faroes, Faroese catches of 850 per year are probably sustainable.[17]

According to the American Cetacean Society — pilot whales are not considered endangered. The society cites "There are likely to be almost a million long-finned pilot whales and at least 200,000 short-finned pilot whales worldwide".[18]

The population figure of 778,000 is accepted by the International Whaling Commission's Scientific Committee. Those in favour of whaling, such as the North Atlantic Marine Mammal Commission in their 1997 and 1999 report on the hunt, claim that this is a conservative estimate[16] , whilst others opposed to the hunt, such as the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society cite data that the figure is over-estimated.[citation needed] This means that the average kill from 1990–1999 of 956 animals each year represents about 0.1% of the population, which is considered sustainable by the IUCN and ACS.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:24:35 AM by Rodney »

Casey Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:04 AM »

Whenever I have been in Denmark, dolphin meat is on most restaurant menus. It's a traditional diet that the Danish people are not willing to give up.

- Danish people don't eat whales and dolphins.

now you have me confused..... ??? ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:09 AM »

now you have me confused..... ??? ???

My original post was a joke, perhaps an ignorant one. I'd like to think those who want to tackle the issue would thoroughly research the subject first to understand who they are talking about. I'll go back to the first post and add a smiley to avoid further confusion.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:17:21 AM by Rodney »

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »

next you people will be picking on the Scot's for culling the Haggie :{
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!