Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.  (Read 66528 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2012, 05:02:53 AM »

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Canada+failure+protect+marine+biodiversity+disappointing+dismaying+asserts+panel+chair/6091476/story.html#ixzz1lPvuhrUu

From the article above if you do not want to read it all, interesting, maybe what some of us are concerned about is not just us that are seeing what is going on in our oceans.

Hutchings urged Canadians to show greater concern about the impact of climate change, fishing, and aquaculture on marine biodiversity. The best strategy against such "key stressors" is to protect existing diversity and to rebuild depleted populations and species to restore natural diversity.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »

Off to the trial today to offer support and give Don some funds, will  give him your best wishes too. ;D ;D ;D

Should be a good day as tubed a steelhead for the hatchery program this morning and lost 3 others.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »

Good chris.  Can you find out why he is being deported while your chatin him up and, maybe post the documents?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »

Say hi to Don for me :D

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »

LOL! Say goodbye for me!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »

Off to the trial today to offer support and give Don some funds, will  give him your best wishes too. ;D ;D ;D

Should be a good day as tubed a steelhead for the hatchery program this morning and lost 3 others.

What was the name of that song??...Fools Rush In.... ;D

Grats on the steely Chris.
Take the T out of Morton.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »

Found a little more information about the ongoing case in the student newspaper at U Vic where Dr. John Volpe teaches. The key points, assuming accurate reporting, are as follows:

Staniford has a month left before he has to be out of the country and he is being deported because he didn't renew his visa, no specification whether it was a visitor's or work visa, but I suspect visitor's since work would require a sponsor and no capability within country to fill the job.

The only witness for the defense was Volpe and although defense tried to have him admitted as an expert witness, the judge ruled against that and declared Volpe's testimony inadmissible.

Staniford has raised $20,000 from U Vic's Enironmental Law defense fund, $10,000 from a group of Norwegian fishermen and $28,000 from online begging through gofundme.com. Staniford claims his costs are $3000 a day; he is still short $2000 for the projected 20 day trial but maybe Chris will help him out with that.

That leaves the question of the verdict. Guilty would leave him on the hook for some substantial judgment and potentially Mainstream's legal costs. It would also leave him in Norway, within reach of Cermaq with the judgment in hand. Innocent would perhaps even cover his legal costs and would leave him a nice little chunk of pocket change to fund setting up household in Norway unless he returns the money.

Article is here:

http://martlet.ca/martlet/article/industry-sues-antifish-farm-activist/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

Thanks absolon for your continuing diligence in rooting out the facts.   My guess is Chris could fund that last 2k by selling all his recovered Drennans ;)
Interesting that Volpe was not recognized as an expert witness but, perhaps correctly considering his publication record.
If Mr. Staniford is indeed found innocent wouldn't he have to return the money donated to his defence? 

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »

Thanks Dave. I'm finding the whole saga quite entertaining once the partisan rhetoric is stripped away. You'd figure a guy that was living "black" would have the good sense to keep his head down. I guess celebrity can warp judgment.

I doubt that the larger donations will be made if not required but I assume all the funds raised from well-meaning individuals through the begging site are a done deal through the miracle of paypal and credit cards. As an aside, I wonder how much the begging site skims off the top as their cut.

One would assume a moral obligation to return unneeded funds dedicated to the defense should the innocent scenario occur, but if and until that happens, any prediction is simply unfounded speculation.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »

Thanks Dave. I'm finding the whole saga quite entertaining once the partisan rhetoric is stripped away. You'd figure a guy that was living "black" would have the good sense to keep his head down. I guess celebrity can warp judgment.

I doubt that the larger donations will be made if not required but I assume all the funds raised from well-meaning individuals through the begging site are a done deal through the miracle of paypal and credit cards. As an aside, I wonder how much the begging site skims off the top as their cut.

One would assume a moral obligation to return unneeded funds dedicated to the defense should the innocent scenario occur, but if and until that happens, any prediction is simply unfounded speculation.

My, my, all this speculation on what Staniford should or shouldn't or will do with the funds he is raising.........      and the trial is still on.  Whether Staniford is proven guilty or innocent, he will still be responsible for his legal costs. If the judge dismisses the charges and requires that Mainstream pay court costs, they are only a small fraction of his actual costs.

I appreciate your passion for your industry, however you're stooping pretty low in your attempts to discredit a man who's pure motivation is the preservation of BC's wild salmon.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

Don was awesome today while being cross examined today. ;D ;D ;D Watch for the transscript of this morning proceedings.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »

My, my, all this speculation on what Staniford should or shouldn't or will do with the funds he is raising.........      and the trial is still on.  Whether Staniford is proven guilty or innocent, he will still be responsible for his legal costs. If the judge dismisses the charges and requires that Mainstream pay court costs, they are only a small fraction of his actual costs.

I appreciate your passion for your industry, however you're.  stooping pretty low in your attempts to discredit a man who's pure motivation is the preservation of BC's wild salmon

Discredit a man whos in Canada illegally...please.... "stooping pretty low in your attempts to discredit a man who's pure motivation is the preservation of BC's wild salmon"....not as low as the claims he was making.

Take the T out of Morton.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2012, 11:31:43 PM »

I appreciate your passion for your industry, however you're stooping pretty low in your attempts to discredit a man who's pure motivation is the preservation of BC's wild salmon.
Staniford has made it his mission to stoop pretty low to discredit people in the fish farm industry and governmental scientists.  He has been running his mouth off for awhile now and it finally has caught up with him.  Sorry, I don't feel too bad for the position he is in.  I actually feel sorry for Norway who might have to put up with him.  Why can't we find a job for Don at our country's embassy in Syria and give Norway a break?

Who's pure movtivation is the preservation of BC's wild salmon?  Oh pleeeese!  If he is so committent to preserving BC's wild salmon then he should try considering the possibility that his narrow view is not consistent with what went on at the Cohen Inquiry (the whole inquiry - not just what happened after August).  More like preservation of his own butt.  Free the new Teflon Don..lol!

Time to support new and much better initiatives such as the one proposed by Dr. Welch.