Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Guided Steelhead trips on the Vedder  (Read 9752 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Help with Guided Steelhead trips on the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »

The most successful steelheaders spend many fishless hours and days wandering up and down their favorite haunts, fishing all types of water, trying to figure out where the fish are running this season. Pay attention to your surroundings and fish as much as you can. Reading the water you're fishing is very important, but I would say reading the water below you is even more important. Sometimes the run below could have a large percentage of fish funneling to the opposite side of the river. Maybe that tailout you got a fish in last week is to shallow this week discouraging fish from coming up. Get intimate with a smaller portion of river and you will be rewarded. By March or April, you'll be hooking up on a regular basis.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »

The most successful steelheaders spend many fishless hours and days wandering up and down their favorite haunts, fishing all types of water, trying to figure out where the fish are running this season. Pay attention to your surroundings and fish as much as you can. Reading the water you're fishing is very important, but I would say reading the water below you is even more important. Sometimes the run below could have a large percentage of fish funneling to the opposite side of the river. Maybe that tailout you got a fish in last week is to shallow this week discouraging fish from coming up. Get intimate with a smaller portion of river and you will be rewarded. By March or April, you'll be hooking up on a regular basis.

Well spoken.
Nothing replaces time on the water but is never a bad idea to shorten the learning curve by hiring a guide or taking a course.
There is also a ton of information available these days wether it be books or internet.
Absorb it all like a sponge.

thewilliamswall

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »

Thanks again for all the valuable feedback. I live in Langley, work full time and even have a 8 week old baby. That means I get to fish approx 2-3 Saturdays a month + holidays + the odd vacation day during the week. I have no problem going home empty handed as long as I felt I spent my day learning or gaining experience. My problem is I have no idea what I'm really looking for and could spend the whole day fishing the wrong spots. All the salmon I caught were in my lucky hole, mostly in the morning and on the same set up.

I will be heading out with the generous guy that offered to show me some tips he's picked up and I'll spend some time applying them. I am seriously considering bentrods but I will wait to see how much I'm able to pick up off the guy taking me out.

I really appreciate all the positive and helpful info. When my time comes to pass on what I learned you can bet I'll be the first guy offering to help out a beginner who is willing to put in time to learn proper and ethical fishing techniques.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »

Also time in the season the fish will be behaving differently. Now they're moving and pushing where later in the season they're holding and pairing up more.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

brownmancheng

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »

Thanks again for all the valuable feedback. I live in Langley, work full time and even have a 8 week old baby. That means I get to fish approx 2-3 Saturdays a month + holidays + the odd vacation day during the week. I have no problem going home empty handed as long as I felt I spent my day learning or gaining experience. My problem is I have no idea what I'm really looking for and could spend the whole day fishing the wrong spots. All the salmon I caught were in my lucky hole, mostly in the morning and on the same set up.

I will be heading out with the generous guy that offered to show me some tips he's picked up and I'll spend some time applying them. I am seriously considering bentrods but I will wait to see how much I'm able to pick up off the guy taking me out.

I really appreciate all the positive and helpful info. When my time comes to pass on what I learned you can bet I'll be the first guy offering to help out a beginner who is willing to put in time to learn proper and ethical fishing techniques.
You still get 2-3 days plus holidays and vacation time. Wow must be nice, your wife treats you good! Since the birth of my daughter I am lucky if i get two days a month. If i have a holiday or day off my wife considers it as her holiday lol.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

You still get 2-3 days plus holidays and vacation time. Wow must be nice, your wife treats you good! Since the birth of my daughter I am lucky if i get two days a month. If i have a holiday or day off my wife considers it as her holiday lol.

I think she trained you better than you trained her LOL
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

farky

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

Took me 7 years to get my sunday's back. But i push my luck for extras all the time, helps living close to the river. ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »

im right there with you Brown, my warden also says im only allowed to fish twice a month since our first son was born and she sticks to it even more since out second came. boys are getting older now (1 1/2 & 3 1/2) so now im just starting to push for more days on the water...............i even get them sometimes  :o  :o
i can usually get more fishing days if i only do half day trips too, like home by 2pm latest. keep that trick in mind  ;)

Will - im also in Langley and though i dont gear fish for steel often i would also be up to hit the water and lend some tips i have learned over the years

HOOK - gear rod for steel equals dinner  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishnjim

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »

go with bent rod!  him and his wife are an excellent family run business!  they do a great job and i try and go steelheading with him at least once a year to keep me in the know!

thewilliamswall

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

Yes my wife is awesome but before we crown her wife of the year let me point out that on my 2-3 'days' consist of me leaving before she is up and bring home by 2. Usually in the river from 7-12. Then I take my kid from when I get home til bed.

Hook- I will take you up on that offer!  Just let me know when you are free and what you drink!

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »

go with bent rods woderful people and a steelhead expert did a trip 2 years ago and it was amzing iam going to plan a trip in jan or feb

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »

will - email me your number and i will get back to you.

Glad to see we are both on the same "wife schedule" LoL I did tell her im doing full days for steel most of the time now, yesterday was out until about 30mins before dark and left cause i was getting tired and my casting was getting sloppy as a result
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/