Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking about my first Spey rod  (Read 8246 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Thinking about my first Spey rod
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 12:21:11 AM »

I'd go shorter than that for LML rivers.  IMO a 12'6" 8wt would be ideal for local rivers.  Budget for lessons, spey casting is less easy to learn on your own than single hand casting.  Call up a professional instructor, dont rely on a friend whos an ok caster to learn, they won't be able to teach you effectively.  Spend your money on the rod, Skagit lines can be picked up in good condition used on Speypages dot com or on local forums.  Opposite to gear fishing, better to save money on the reel than the rod.  TFO makes a nice rod for the price called the Deer Creek.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 08:49:35 AM »

On advice from some spey guys I met shopping at a local fly shop.I checked out TFO's Deer Creek rods I settled on the 7wt package they offer and am impressed and pleased to say the least.My first switch rod and I love it. Will be using it on the Vedder the Adams and in Belize this Feb.The line head they supply match the rod perfectly.Oh yeh I forgot I bought it on line from Red's Fly Shop dot com.
Riverman

Loop

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »

I am also starting to explore and learn spey fishing. I will probably be looking for a similar rod in the next year or two. My new home waters are the Thompson river as I just moved to Kamloops.

One suggestion, my firend had for me to do before I make the purchase, was to go to M&Y spey clave in April of this year. As it is my understanding you can try out a significant amount of different rod, reel and line combinations.