Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some advice for lead core line for trolling  (Read 6691 times)

mcphisto

Some advice for lead core line for trolling
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:49:13 PM »

I use a pontoon boat to troll flies, and next year I would like to try the lead core line to get down deep, but I'm unsure on how to set this up. Judging by my 5 weight spool, it looks as though it's wayyy too small for the lead core line, I am even wondering if a 5 weight rod is too light considering the line weight on its own. If anyone knows the correct way to use this method I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!  ;D

cohoaaron

Re: Some advice for lead core line for trolling
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:01:33 AM »

I am assuming you are not talking about sinking fly line so heres what i think about lead core trolling line, it is a GREAT buy if you dont want to invest in a downrigger but you do NOT want to use it on a fly rod it will just over power it and will end up not being good for your rod  , the ideal combo would be a medium light trolling rod and a small cheap trolling real (okuma, penn, shimano) the only problem with this stuff is its takes a LONG time to reel in because it is so heavy and you cant feel ypur lure action, but it works great.
If you are strictly a fly fisherman then just buy a full sink fly line.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:03:10 AM by cohoaaron »

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »

My advice to you is do not use a 5wt fly rod with a lead line. One other piece of advice is depending on the normal depth of the water you can simply cut the lead line in half and then you can use a smaller reel.

mbowers

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:08:14 AM »

If you cut the leadcore to make a shooting head and use a running line it will troll fine and won't overload the rod if you try to cast it.  Leadcore that's 27lb strength is about 11 gr / foot and a 5 weight should be designed to cast 140gr fly line.  If you cut 15 feet or so of lead core that should work fine.  If you'll only be trolling and not casting you might want to attach that piece of leadcore to some 20lb superbraid backing and you should have some pretty good sensitivity for seeing hits and setting hooks.  A full sinking flyline is a lot more elegant but the leadcore is cheap and it will get down: if you stop the boat to fight a fish on another line, that leadcore will be ON the bottom in a few seconds.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:55:39 PM »

I used an old Daiwa 175 for years to hold my leadcore.
You will want more than a 5 wt and preferably a spinning rod to holf that reel.
You need to guide the line back and forth with your finger when you wind it back on the reerl.
You dont want any kinks in this line.
It comes in different weights and i found the 17lb worked well for me .

Allways used 90 ft of Maxima 6lb Ultra Green leader as i was taught by the pros at Sheridan Lake.

Still have the set up but havent used it in years as i find i do better now that im learning more about fly fishing.

mcphisto

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »

Great replies! Thanks a bunch, I'll just keep on with my full sink for the time being. It's just that I wanted to get down deep at buntzen. Maybe I'll add 15 foot at the end as suggested and try that. Thanks again!

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »

I use an Abu 6000 baitcaster, it holds 8 colors of 25lb lead core.
As someone else said 50-100' of 6-8lb leader. Longer the better it seems.
With a bait caster you need to take extra care letting it out. but reeling in, is sweet.

Brook Trout

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »

At the start of the year i bought a Type VI Sinking Rio Mainstream line for going down deeper caught many nice fish during the summer when it usually gets a lot slower here in the interior. I'd usually put a dragonfly nymph or a big green leech on.