Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing Fish?  (Read 6128 times)

Brook Trout

Re: Losing Fish?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »

I had this problem earlier this year on the Thompson. While fly casting for pinks i would hook into them almost every cast but they'd pop off midway through the fight. I probably landed 5 fish that day and lost 50.. Then i went back the next day and hardly lost anything same fly. I think it is just luck and when you start noticing it you put more pressure on yourself whenever you hook into a fish and then you start loosing more. imo

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »

in my experience the most important thing is to have sharp and I mean very sharp hooks. While the best quality hooks are that sharp right out of the package not all new hooks are sharp enough. The same is true for purchased flies. Encounters with rocks etc will dull hooks. Have a good hook sharpener with you and know how to use it. Check the hook  often.
This is the best that I have used:

http://eze-lap.com/hunting_fishing_outdoor_use/pocket-sharpeners/

Once the hook no longer gets to that sticky sharp quality - retire it.

believe me sharp hooks makes tips about strikes and hook sets moot.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

roseph

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »

I've lost my last four steelhead.  Three on flies (one on an intruder and the two other regular long shank steamer type flies) and the other fishing gear.

There's a lot of info out there that has been suggested:  holding a loop of extra line, letting the fish turn before setting the hook, setting the hook toward the bank close to you. 

Needless to say it's pretty tough to keep composure when you realize you've got a steely on your line, and I haven't hooked enough to give my own advice.  But I do know that sometimes the hook just isn't in a great spot for setting, and for me there's nothing worse than feeling a take, and having your hook shoot back at you when trying to set it.  So more than anything I've been trying to be patient in waiting for the fish to turn, but even then I've had them unbutton closer to the end of the fight.

Frustrating for sure, but also easy to overthink this topic. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:35 AM »

50/50 is a pretty standard ratio for steelhead landed versus lost for gear, It's probably lower for fly.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.