Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011/12 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 213075 times)

colchilibeck

Has anyone been out lately for fly only season? I am in Vancouver and am on the fence for either going to the Vedder or Squamish. This is my first year fishing the Vedder so I don't know what later season fishing is like.

younggun

• Old Timer

Both rivers are in freshet. And its LATE in the season, they're called winter steelhead for a reason, leave the spawners alone.
Fish killer 101

Carich980

Wow... if thats the case move the Fly only season back a few months. I'm going to head out Saturday morning your welcome to join me if you like.

nickredway

• Old Timer

The whole of April would be sick!

kingpin

• Old Timer

the whole of march and april is already sick on the fly even with bait guys around. no need to change the season
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

younggun

• Old Timer

the whole of march and april is already sick on the fly even with bait guys around. no need to change the season

Posted by: kingpin

X2
Fish killer 101

Dave

• Old Timer

The whole of April would be sick!
Totally agree.  Consider what a fly only regulation in April would bring ... many out of town/country anglers resulting in a boost to the local economy; tackle shops, motels, restaurants ,fuel outlets, campsites, guides, etc.  Then add in a special levy for this quality fishery for these anglers to support needed habitat restoration techniques that would benefit all other anglers as well.
Yup ;)  Been advocating that for years but sadly, can't see it happening.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Totally agree.  Consider what a fly only regulation in April would bring ... many out of town/country anglers resulting in a boost to the local economy; tackle shops, motels, restaurants ,fuel outlets, campsites, guides, etc.  Then add in a special levy for this quality fishery for these anglers to support needed habitat restoration techniques that would benefit all other anglers as well.

Move to England. ;D ;D

nickredway

• Old Timer

I'm not talking about the whole river, just the crossing down to powerlines would suffice.

kingpin

• Old Timer

Id say it would bring less money in...the amount of gear guys coming from all over BC and the US to fish it now is crazy.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Dave

• Old Timer

Id say it would bring less money in...the amount of gear guys coming from all over BC and the US to fish it now is crazy.
I disagree.  This one month fishery could become a relatively affordable and quickly famous destination for not only the fortunate locals who choose to fish a fly, but also for the already savvy Japanese, European and American anglers who fish this river for salmon. The potential for a quality, fly only fishery like this, so close to so many people worldwide through both Vancouver and Seattle airports is immense. 
The spin offs in watershed improvements alone would be worth it, IMO

Sandman

• Old Timer

When are they gonna have a "bait only" season? Us gut chuckers have a hard enough time finding water that hasnt been pounded by speyguys all day, we need our own season.

I think a year round bait ban is in order. :o
Not all those who wander are lost

Dave

• Old Timer

I think a year round bait ban is in order. :o
I could support that.  Good to see we agree on something Sandman :D

typhoon

• Old Timer

Totally off topic. Start a new thread or just resurrect one of the old ones. Nothing new here.

Old Blue

I was out this morning for 4 hours around the train bridge.  Water level was decent and good visibility but no love for me.  Had one hit and countless steelhead parr taps and didn't see anyone else hook up.