Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vest, Fanny Pack or Back Pack...  (Read 7374 times)

Danube Boy

Re: Vest, Fanny Pack or Back Pack...
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »

I've been using the Simms Dry Creek pack for a bit over a year and while the quality is good, function is terrible.

- Neither waist nor shoulder straps stay put once adjusted; just keep sliding loose. You have to tie the straps into a knot or put a pin in place, which shouldn't be necassary for a bag in this price range (I'm sure this wasn't the first time Simms made an adjustable strap system - no excuse for such oops).
- While they mention that the zippers are only water resistant, they should stay away from using the word "Dry" in the product name. After a few hours of fishing in the rain, you WILL notice water in the bottom of the bag, including the side pocket in the front. After a few hours of heavy rain exposure, your stuff will be floating, and things will rust.
- I have also noticed that while wading deep and having just the bottom of the bag touching the water, it got wet inside even though the water was nowhere close to a zipper. I know they say it's not submersable, but I think they are referring to zippers and not nylon material.
- Zippers are very stiff due to water-resistant design, so be ready to use one hand to unzip and other to hold the pack. IMO, a regular, easy to use zipper with a waterproof flap that covers both zippers would have been a better design.

And there is my boxing day rant!   ;D

Btw, I have yet to read anything bad about this pack, although it's pricy: http://www.sagebrushdrygoods.com/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=26&PHPSESSID=8ba01cbe6ed9366949fad763795ee765

Kenwee

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »

Danube Boy siad everything abut the Dry Creed pack's characteristics. I also have one and have had the same experience . I do not use it anymore.Water gets in easily and it does not stay dry even in a small drizzle of rain. The zip is just a pain in the butt to zip and unzip.
I am now looking to get something more user friendly.

obie1fish

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »

Bushline has a mini-vest that I've been using on the Fraser, Vedder, Harrison, and Chehailis for steelhead and salmon, on a boat and on the bank. It's worked very well for me. Fully adjustable and fits a BIG guy like me: 6'3, 3 bills. Instead of fabric, the vest parts are mesh with fabric pockets, making it nice for scorching summers, and it doesn't soak up water in the rain.. Neoprene yoke.

Got it at the A & N New West last summer. $50, I think. Very comfortable.

Anyone else use one? how did it work for you?

obie1fish

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »

My vest is the 6334 model from the  link:

http://www.worldfms.com/newproduct/documents/130-131.pdf

The company that makes this is World Famous. They've made "affordable" fishing/camping stuff for years, but like I said, this model works very well for me.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »

This is what I have just switched to. Well something very close to it. It is made by Sage and the quality is perfect to last quite awhile. Mine has a water bottle pocket on either side of the main bag. This one has plenty of room to carry all what you need for fishing. I really like how the adjustable clips really stay in place so that once you have it all adjusted they stay in place. It will definatly take some getting used too as I have been fishing with a vest for quite some time. I tell you my brother was sure happy to get my vest, even though it was about 10 years old it still was like new. It was one that was made to last unlike the vests you get today.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

obie1fish

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »

But I thought maybe this one would work even better for those who need to bring everything... ;)

anorden

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »

I always laugh when I hear people talking about fanny packs. Back in the UK Motherland, fannies are something only girls have  ;)

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »

After I went out on the river last week, I noticed that my backpack was just way to big. I mean its nice when you wanna pack a lunch or carry a rain jacket, but otherwise just too much. All I needed that day was my leader tube, a jar full of roe sacs and some other tidbits that I kept in a small double-sided case. Now I'm leaning towards a fanny pack, much like you see runners wear, small center pouch with 2 bottle holders on each side. That should be good enough for what i need during these short winter fishing trips.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."