Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Know anything about this Milner Kingfisher?  (Read 9885 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Know anything about this Milner Kingfisher?
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »

I picked up an older John Milner this past week from an auction in New York. It is a Kingfisher 4 and 3/8ths bushing model. It spins true and has been maintained well. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about what year this reel might be? There are no serial or production numbers on it, and the finish does not seem to be anodized. It looks bronze in the pics but it is actually silver with a patina on it. This may not be anything special but it does seem to be an older Milner. Anyone have anything to add?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:11:19 PM by hue-nut »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Know anything about this Milner Kingfisher?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »

Nice looking reel.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »

hey aaron, looks like a nickel finish KF, is the spot where the foot is bolted to the reel one piece or there another smaller piece connecting the reel to the foot? if once piece its pretty old and is a great find...the 3 regular holed pattern is of the older style too and he no longer does it, john rarely did a 4th set of holes back then either. the handles and clicker knob have been replaced and arent original though imo. the nickel finish reels were sweet but the finish pitted and wore off so john discontinued that finish. either way great find you dont see many nickel reels let alone a cool one with extra big holes.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »

Kp how'd I know you would have some good info....gear slut.  It is definitely a Nicole finish and has worn quite a bit but has a cool vintage look. I'll have to check the reel foot

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »

Hey Kody, I checked the reel foot and it is definitely machined from the back plate, it is one piece with the foot bolted to that. Different from my other Kingfisher which has the reel foot, then a piece bolted onto the back plate. Also the writing on the back says John Milner Talisman Reels which is different from my other Kingfisher. I may try emailing John about it and see what they have to say.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »

Very nice find you have there my friend! 8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »

You mind if I ask how much it was? Was it an on line auction or were you in n.y.?

I stumbled upon a Lang's Auction in New York and was able to put in an online bid, although the auction was live this past Saturday. They had 1800 items, most of which were vintage gear. There were many Hardy reels going for $1500-$2000. The Milner was tucked in there and I was the high bidder for $325 plus seller premium and shipping which put me just under $400

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »

I stumbled upon a Lang's Auction in New York and was able to put in an online bid, although the auction was live this past Saturday. They had 1800 items, most of which were vintage gear. There were many Hardy reels going for $1500-$2000. The Milner was tucked in there and I was the high bidder for $325 plus seller premium and shipping which put me just under $400

good buy aaron, my last 2 old school KF's cost me around 400 new in the box too.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »

Gotta say Milner Reels are dope!!!! to buy a reel that is made locally by someone who will actually reply to a phone call or email in a timely manner is pretty rare these days, not to mention the fact that there are very few pins out there that rival the craftsmanship and performance. This was John's reply to my query yesterday.

Hi Aaron That reel was made around 1998-99 and is one of my very early Kingfishers.At that time I was experimenting quite a bit with various hole patterns and finishes and did make a few ,maybe a half dozen or so, with a nickel plate finish .I did not continue with nickel reels because I had a couple come back badly pitted and corroded due I think to exposure to salt water or chemical bait preservative .For thirty years or more I operated under the name Talisman Reels which  I changed in 2006. All my reels until around 2005 had the saddle mounting lug as an integral part of the back plate but I changed to the current style in order to allow more room between the saddle mount and the drum.This made the reel better suited to the particular styles of casting popular in the USA.like the Wallace and side cast.
 Thanks for your interest

John Milner

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »

sweet reel !!! looks like its got some mojo !

o.c.winch

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »

Beautiful reel.  Milners are the best.