Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 12th 2011: My First Steelhead Trip Of The Season  (Read 5142 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Hearing reports of the odd early run steelhead around I thought I would venture out for my first trip of the 2011 – 2012 season this afternoon. Of course living 5 minutes from the river is very helpful.

I left the house around 2 not sure where I should start but chose an area I had noticed a good looking spot for a steelhead when I was coho fishing.
I had pro cured some shrimp and also cut up a few 3 week old coho bait, into quarter sized pieces did not look that great but I was just planning on using the shrimp.

I started just below the Chum Run and worked a few runs before I arrived at the spot I mentioned above, it still looked good. I worked the spot for maybe 5 minutes and then the Maple Leaf DNE dipped, I was surprised to see it go down and more surprised I reacted in setting the hook as quickly as I did.

I make contact and for a split second I think I have a steelhead on as the head shake pulsates up the rod. I look for a flash bur all I do see as the fish surfaces is a fish with bars on it, a chum. My pulse that had quickened now returns to normal.

The fish does not stay on long and falls off fairly quickly but it did feel good to have a fish on, once again.
With no more chances I decide to explore some more spots further up river, it’s a pleasant day but a bit cool so a walk warms me up a bit. I observe more walkers on the trail than anglers as I only have seen 3 so far.
I guess I walk close to 1 KM up river but find only a couple of likely spots that could hold a fish.

It’s close to 3:15 now so I decide to head back down river again. On the way back I try 2 more spots and then I think I will pack it in as I know one has to be lucky to connect with a prized steelhead this early in the season. After 30 years I donot think I have ever caught one this early in the season, on the CV.

However I keep thinking about the spot where I had hooked the chum, should I try it again or not?

Sorry I have to go to badminton, stay tuned for what happened when I do return to, “The Early Run”
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:01:44 PM by chris gadsden »

Sandman

• Old Timer

Are you a time traveler now Chris? (check the date on your post)
Not all those who wander are lost

typhoon

• Old Timer

Hmmm. I see another doe was weighed in at Fred's...

Brian the fisherman

Congrats on the early fish  :)
Tight lines to all

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Are you a time traveler now Chris? (check the date on your post)
Oops, must of been thinking of my dentist appointment tomorrow the 13th. :-[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I don't know, it looks like a chum salmon to me... ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Nice one Chris, great way to start the season  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

You stole the rest of my srory, well maybe tomorrow. :-\

brysonk

Congrats Chris! Better start then last year.  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

With about 15 minutes of fishing time left I decide to try “The Early Run” once more. I am now fishing the old roe that had been in my bait box for at least 3 weeks, maybe longer.

I work the spot in the run where I had hooked the chum earlier, for a few minutes before I work towards the tail out
The seagulls are now heading in waves to their evening place of rest, Cultus Lake. I say to myself “time to go too, last cast”. We are having our badminton Christmas party so need to get home to get ready.

I make that cast to no avail but as I walk out of the run I observe a bit of a slot, right at the tail out, what the heck one more cast will not hurt.
As the ML DNE float drifts into the slot it dips a bit, that looked unnatural, it goes a couple of feet more and dips again. Most likely bottom but I strike, half heartily.

What’s this, I am feeling a head shake, another chum? No this fish feels strong and it is peeling line off my old Avon reel, heading into the fast water. Gosh maybe this is a steelhead, yes it is as it clears the water, with a tell tale steelhead leap.
It is now vacating the run; I have no chose but to let it go and follow it, stumbling over the rocks while at the same time trying to keep the line tight. Oops two snags below but I am able to keep the fish on my side of them, whew.
We have now reached the next run, a nice place to land the fish but my quarry is not tired yet, don’t rush it, I am now feeling the rush of having a steelhead on.
Next question, is it a hatchery. I have guided it closer to me 3 or 4 times but not close enough to see if it has an adipose or not. The fish tries to gain its freedom with another leap. I finally get it close onto the shallows to see it is free of that fin.

The fish makes a couple of more runs into the deeper water again, twisting and turning each time it feels the gravel on it’s stomach. Finally it tires after the 10 minute tussle and I slide it safely ashore.

I can hardly believe it, my first steelhead of the year, on my first trip and only after a couple of hours of fishing time. I certainly have received an early Christmas present.
I check my cell phone to get the correct date before marking my license also I have to phone Rodney to give him the good news.
Even though I had not yet entered the Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby I head to Fred’s Custom tackle to weigh in the bit of chrome. Chuck reads out the weight that is just under 10 pounds. Gosh if I would have entered the derby earlier I would have knocked Buck off the top rung.
Before I leave the store I now pay the $10 entry fee, thinking another of these wonderful game fish, maybe the derby winner will lurk, one day in “The Early Run.”
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:28:08 AM by chris gadsden »

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Chilliwack River, December 12th 2011: My First Steelhead Trip Of The Season
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:47:42 AM »

nice read and fish, rod looks a bit dirty must be caught from the lower river  ::)
early season fish always fight the best.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

azafai

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »

congratulations for the "early Christmas present."

you deserved it!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 10:35:25 AM »

That's a beauty Chris! Congrats.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

Chris, don't show that picture to Alex ;D  And what happened to your rod; looks like some form of leprosy ...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »

Chris, don't show that picture to Alex ;D  And what happened to your rod; looks like some form of leprosy ...
Keeps the ISA virus away. ;D