Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011/2012 Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby  (Read 24113 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: 2011/2012 Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »

and half the people out right now are noobs and its there first or second season and dont even know theres a boxing day derby and are just looking for their first steelhead.
imo go ahead keep your fish just dont keep alot in the early season.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

jon5hill

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »

Well, this post made sure the river is pounded for the next couple of weeks. Social media has a way of ruining good things. I understand Chilliwack sees an economic boost from people showing up to fish for steelies, but there's a density dependence effect here that operates as the river approaches fishing pressure saturation. I love the river, but not enough to put up with a circus. I would suggest that if economic boost is a driving force for constantly advertising catches out there, that a slow and steady increase in river users by word of mouth is a more predictable economic situation than a boom and bust when everyone shows up due to drag-race style pistol shots in the air like this post just to get crowded out and then choose not to come back until April when they won't face such ridiculous crowding.

My 2 cents.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »

social media and the local tackle shop combined... the created hype to boost business nothing more.

buck

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »

Greyghost

Interesting statement about not having to justify your catch to anyone. It appears you do, as you announced over this site that you killed a fish . Results are the same .

the carp

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »

funny thing i fished this morning, only one other angler fishing the whole section of river i was on, nice fellow asked if i minded if he fished the run with me, of course i didnt mind didnt see many anglers any where, and it's nice to hear about a few early fish, kudos to the guys gettin em, as far as the derby goes the tradition of the boxing day derby has long since faded from what it once was. I believe population growth has more to do with the numbers of fisherman than social media, so fly at er boys and enjoy the hunt and it's rewards, i for one feel lucky i am still able to fish as i get older, unlike some of my peers who cannot because of health issues. Lets hope this season is a good one with good water conditions and many happy returns.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »

Its already a gongshow. The busiest that I've ever seen it this early. The fish haven't even shown up, you are trying for the front runners of the whole pack. So many dudes.... pfff

You were part of that gong show if you were there ...are you the only one allowed on the river now?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »

funny thing i fished this morning, only one other angler fishing the whole section of river i was on, nice fellow asked if i minded if he fished the run with me, of course i didnt mind didnt see many anglers any where, and it's nice to hear about a few early fish, kudos to the guys gettin em, as far as the derby goes the tradition of the boxing day derby has long since faded from what it once was. I believe population growth has more to do with the numbers of fisherman than social media, so fly at er boys and enjoy the hunt and it's rewards, i for one feel lucky i am still able to fish as i get older, unlike some of my peers who cannot because of health issues. Lets hope this season is a good one with good water conditions and many happy returns.
Nicely put, as one ages we tend to look at things a lot differently than we did at one time.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »

Oh and nice work Pete on the first fish entered in the derby.

paul1971

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »

more people fishing and earlier on will make for poor boxing derby results...anybody agree? Atleast catch and release the fish leading up unless it is a contender in the year long derby...Thats a joke right like I will put a hard earned hatchery fish back because of the boxing day derby dream on!!
Thats a joke right like I will put a hard earned hatchery fish back because of the boxing day derby dream on!!

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »

Greyghost

Interesting statement about not having to justify your catch to anyone. It appears you do, as you announced over this site that you killed a fish . Results are the same .
Buck

It appears to be an apparition! Doesn't the saying go."a picture is worth a thousand words". I love this saying! Nice fish BTW! If your the Buck that caught it!

As for my afternoon walk on the bank today, Water is in great shape and  :-X . Good luck out there!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »

more people fishing and earlier on will make for poor boxing derby results...anybody agree? Atleast catch and release the fish leading up unless it is a contender in the year long derby...

not all anglers on the river decide to take part in the derby....

brownmancheng

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »

Thats a joke right like I will put a hard earned hatchery fish back because of the boxing day derby dream on!!
:)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »

so whos all gonna be in the boxing day derby?
im gonna be in it along with my kingpin im getting christmas  ;D
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

mikeyman

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 01:00:07 AM »

glad I could stir the pot a bit...lol, good luck to everyone this season!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »

I wouldnt get too excited over alot of people fishing early season.The forums im sure are attracting alot of newbies to the sport.They will give up rather quickly when they soon realize that fishing for steel is tough compared to the salmon season.Winter weather conditions,alot fewer fish and elite anglers catching most of the steel.Whats that saying? 90%of the steel are caught by 10% of the fisherman.Nice to see the real season has officially begun now. ;D