Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead for a present?  (Read 7160 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead for a present?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »

I agree with Hook that the fly you concocted has good potential.  The colours are nice, bright but not too gaudy, perfect for the clear water and overcast conditions you described.  The flashy tail and long wing material would give that fly considerable movement and profile in the water, irresistible to a steelhead.  All you need do now is name it.  Sumas Sunset?
Not all those who wander are lost

gmachine19

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »

I was joking with a buddy of mine and I told him I'll call it "something miner" if it catches a steelhead. So the Name "Filipino Miner" kinda gut stuck to it haha!
You should've been here yesterday!

Danny

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »

thanks for sharing this experience! you captured the exhilaration i think everyone feels every time a steelhead is caught, especially the first time!  "crap i snagged a rock! oh no way it's a fish!! please be a steely please be a steely! i hope my drag is set right so i don't snap my line! please be a hatchery, so i can get it on shore for a picture because i'm fishing by myself!" the thought process happens so fast, and when the heart starts racing and the body starts shaking it's the most exciting and nerve wracking experience i know that i have ever felt. 

way to go and thanks again for sharing!

gmachine19

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »

No problem Danny :) Hopefully more to come.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »

6th time out....your kidding me...right !   Well done, took me almost two seasons to hook up on the fly.
And on your own fly pattern........priceless !

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  What an awesome experience, so similar to my own report on this site just a few days ago on the Feb 18th thread.  Glad you got 'er, what a rush!  Have you spent the past day or two just reliving the whole thing in your head like I did?  lol

Way to go!
:)
Tex

gmachine19

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »

I've spent the whole season just re-living it lol! I find it hard to catch one one gear. I have 3 long line release so far. Hopefully I'll manage to land one on grear when I go out next week.