Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking about my first Spey rod  (Read 8301 times)

Fueler

Thinking about my first Spey rod
« on: November 25, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »

Thinking about a echo dh 13'3 8 weight and a ion reel what do you guys think

cfo

• Reaction Fly and Tackle
Re: Thinking about my first Spey rod
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »

the dh series are great rods but more suited for float line and/or experienced casters. the echo TR8136 is slightly faster and easier to learn how to cast on.... match it up with an airflo skagit compact 600

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »

When Dec Hogan came out with the DH line up, those spey rods were meant to be fuller flexing medium action rods. For beginners this would be a good entry level rod as you can put on the recommended grain weight skagit line, and feel the rod load while you are spey casting.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »

I just started this year and I would recommend a fuller flexing rod too, when you are learning it's good to feel the rod load. The speypages forum is a very good source of information and you can pick up some really great condition used gear 2nd hand off the classified section on there if you are on a budget.

Fueler

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »

Thanks for all the advice

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »

go for an echo switch rod man. Throw a skagit 510 on it and get another spool of skandi and you can jack out big heavy lead eye intruders. The skandi casts touch and go great too easily cast light flies over 70 feet

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »

you could buy the TFO spey and shooting head i have for sale in the Classifieds. then you just need a reel (9-11ounces) fill it with backing and a running line of your choice.  ;) be alot cheaper and a better rod
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

River Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

I would agree to go with the Temple Ford rod. Great all round rod and a great value and warranty for your money...

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »

With a little patience I dont know why anyone would buy brand new. The speypages classifieds forum has everything you will want. Most decent brands have lifetime warranty and you pay a fraction of the price. Bought multiple rods, reels, and lines from there without ever having a problem. Not worth buying brand new unless you know someone who can get you a deal. I agree with HOOK you are getting a better rod for a better price.
always a student

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »

Echo makes rods that are a superb value. I haven't used the DH spey rods but I have an earlier Dec Hogan Spey rod and they have a great action and are very suitable for new spey casters. The TFO Deer Creek series are also very good and about the same price. I think you are best to visit a fly shop that has a good selection of rods and staff who are expert spey casters. Michael and Young is one and I am sure there are others. Talk to the staff, try a few rods and get some sound advice.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »

I have owned and fished both Echo and TFO spey rods and i would grab the TFO deer creek rod over the Echo every day of the week. I enjoyed my Echo when i owned it however the TFO deer creek rods are designed by two world renowned spey gurus (Mike Kinney and Rober Meiser) which means they are designed by guys that really know their chit  ;)

HOOK - would love it if the wife would let him order a Meiser rod  ;D

best way to get into spey fishing is to keep your eyes open for a full setup because then you will have a rod/reel/line that has already been paired up properly (hopefully properly)
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »

Dec Hogan of course knows nothing about casting and desgining spey rods. Neither does Tim Rajeff.  :D

My advice; anyone who says buy this and ignore everything else should be ignored!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »

I have fished the Echo DH 7130-4 and while the quality of the rod was good I found it to be a big wet noodle. Not my cup of tea. There is no question that Dec Hogan and Tim Rajeff know a thing or two about rod design as well. I don't think that anything different was suggested. Also nobody suggested buy only the TFO rod either. If it came down to one or the other me personally I would go with the TFO. I guess it is going to come down as a new spey caster to getting out there and figuring out what you prefer in a rod.
always a student

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 12:48:47 AM »

I guess you dont pay attention to what these guys fish alot of the time. TFO rods are designed with short skagit type lines in mind where as the Echo rods fit better with a mid belly line. I know because i fished both and my Echo hated the short skagit lines but loved my Delta. the TFO rods toss the short lines with barely even a flick.

I never said to not buy one but suggested which i think is best from my own experience. If i hadnt used both i wouldnt even had said anything
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »

MY FLy Logic DH loves a Skagit as well as the Rio Windcutter and Airflo Delta lines.

My Echo switches revel in the compact Skagits.