Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reports of ISAv in BC can not be confirmed.  (Read 2347 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Reports of ISAv in BC can not be confirmed.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »

Yawn ;D
Thanks for the 2nd link though!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »

Do you think they would report some thing else? ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is launching a surveillance initiative to verify the health status of salmon in British Columbia. Approximately 5000 wild salmon will be collected and tested annually, for a minimum of two years. Testing is expected to begin this spring."

Why did it take Morton and the Cohen commission to get them off their a$$es and make plans to do the "surveillance"? Isn't that what they should have been doing all along?

I suggest that it because if they don't look for the disease, they are guaranteed not to find it. That is really their objective....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is launching a surveillance initiative to verify the health status of salmon in British Columbia. Approximately 5000 wild salmon will be collected and tested annually, for a minimum of two years. Testing is expected to begin this spring."

Why did it take Morton and the Cohen commission to get them off their a$$es and make plans to do the "surveillance"? Isn't that what they should have been doing all along?

I suggest that it because if they don't look for the disease, they are guaranteed not to find it. That is really their objective....
Just like the Cohen commission, this disease surveillance work is another knee jerk reaction from government to appease people like you, af.  This work has been ongoing for over a decade by DFO’s Environmental Watch program but apparently because the researchers are DFO they can't be believed so the name gets changed a bit.
Do you really think the CFIA have the ability to capture Fraser River smolts, let alone identify them?  Who do you think will do the sampling?  I bet it's the same people that have been doing it all along, because they have the expertise, the necessary equipment and are already doing the work.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »

I appreciate your openness with what you believe goes on in these agencies. Unfortunately you're missing my sarcasm and interpreting it as me being appeased.

However they are planning on labeling it, the simple fact is both agencies are operating under a conflict of interest. They have been directed to dress up open net aquaculture as harmless to the environment. To them it's just a PR war....  It will always be difficult to believe what they say. Unfortunately when the public realizes the harm they are creating it may be too late for the wild salmon.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[