Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharkfin Soup  (Read 74253 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Re: Sharkfin Soup
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »

I don't believe Chinese herbal medicine is based on voodoo or superstition. Rather it is based on 5000 years of recorded civilization of endless trials and errors, with numerous herbs and food items consumed & tested by billions of Chinese throughout their long history, many of them probably died in the process, in order to come down with the present form of herbal medicines of China. It may not be based on double blind studies, but enough usage and repetitions of testing the herbs give the herbal doctors a good idea what work and what don't. There are pros and cons for both western and Chinese herbal medicines. There are mal-practices in both forms of medicines and they have both harmed and helped patients through out human history. While you point the finger to Chinese herbal medicines, don't forget also how Jacko 'the king of pop' and Whiteney Houston died. There is no need to highlight the good of one and the bad of the other. They both have merits and faults. Unless you are well versed with Chinese herbal medicines, using blanket statements to label our traditional herbal medicines as voodoo or superstition show nothing but arrogance or ignorance. Shark fins are not mostly consumed for medicinal purpose. So there is no need to defame Chinese herbal medicine for this debate.  ;)

I can`t agree more with your post. The whole concept of Western/Eastern medicine is different. One tries to cure you from the root which might take longer where as antibiotics will just killl the virus off. I`ve personally had both Chinese and Western medicine, both works but after many years of eating western medicine some of the chinese stuff just isn`t strong enough.

Adriaticum hmm how do i say in my chinese voodoo, for you, talking about medicine is like a cow trying to play the piano! I think that sums it up pretty well. Nobody expects you to buy into chinese voodoo because you are used to western medicine which is based on capitalism! Also nobody needs you to because China alone is enough of a market. You are no child of western medicine, your intellegent as a whole can be described as a child. Just because there are some superstisians that say eating tiger penis will make you strong like tiger,  doesn`t make chinese medicine voodoo.

You might want to fix your attitude towards othe cultures because one day your employer might or already is an immigrant  8)

http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCABRE8B60G420121207

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

I don't believe Chinese herbal medicine is based on voodoo or superstition. Rather it is based on 5000 years of recorded civilization of endless trials and errors, with numerous herbs and food items consumed & tested by billions of Chinese throughout their long history, many of them probably died in the process, in order to come down with the present form of herbal medicines of China. It may not be based on double blind studies, but enough usage and repetitions of testing the herbs give the herbal doctors a good idea what work and what don't. There are pros and cons for both western and Chinese herbal medicines. There are mal-practices in both forms of medicines and they have both harmed and helped patients through out human history. While you point the finger to Chinese herbal medicines, don't forget also how Jacko 'the king of pop' and Whiteney Houston died. There is no need to highlight the good of one and the bad of the other. They both have merits and faults. Unless you are well versed with Chinese herbal medicines, using blanket statements to label our traditional herbal medicines as voodoo or superstition show nothing but arrogance or ignorance. Shark fins are not mostly consumed for medicinal purpose. So there is no need to defame Chinese herbal medicine for this debate.  ;)

Iliketofish, you know you are right.
They don't eat shark fin soup for medicinal purposes.
Just to show off how much money they have.
The more reason to switch to Bonobo pubic hair soup.
There are fewer bonobos than sharks in the world.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »

Iliketofish, you know you are right.
They don't eat shark fin soup for medicinal purposes.
Just to show off how much money they have.
The more reason to switch to Bonobo pubic hair soup.
There are fewer bonobos than sharks in the world.

Whats the value on something that can regrow ? lol. You may prefer to eat pubic hair but Chinese people dont eat it. Take that idea to the dragon's den and let them do the explaining why they dont use bonobo pubic hair for soup. It doesn't has to be someone that is Chinese, to tell you that your idea is just bad.  ??? ::)

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »

Forget about herbal medicine. Sharks should be harvested just like any animal species except those proven endangered by credible sources, not from PETA or those piloting the anti-shark-fin movement, the animal rights fanatics. This is a real threat to anybody if sharks, even the plentiful stocks, are totally off limit to regulated harvest. If according to the stats put forth by these animal rights groups, 70 millions sharks are spared annually if shark harvest is stopped, then these hungry sharks will devour anything on their way, including us humans who swim, surf or dive as part of our recreational activities. Can't imagine how anybody will feel safe to go into the water like this poor guy did, even in such shallow water, if hundreds of million of shark are spared and hungry from dwindling food sources due to over-population. But then if you are not the one going into the water, or living near shark infested water, you will probably don't give a damn about the danger people risk. It is just human nature if it is the business of somebody else.

This video has close to 50 million views on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQV_WcltnsA

Welcome to the beaches of Florida. Just stay dry and safe on land.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:12:19 PM by liketofish »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »

Either your in their soup or they are in ours.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »

Either your in their soup or they are in ours.

I'd rather see them in Soup than see them while i'm swimming.... thats just me though.....

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/letters/article/1298825--shark-fin-ruling-prompts-idea

Scott not very smart!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:37:03 AM by Ed »

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »

Stop being a racist, Scott. Now that shark-fin ban is lifted, you want to start another racist attack on the Chinese and their culture just so to perpetuate hate against Chinese. I was in HK & China for 20+ years and never heard bear paw used by anyone. I have been here in Canada for 30+ years and I have never heard any of my Chinese friends ever tasted or have the intent to taste bear paws. Be real, how many of the bear hunters are Chinese? Why don't you point your finger at all those non-Chinese trophy hunters who go out to kill the bears just for bragging rights and showing off?  By the way, your bear-paw restaurant will be bankrupt in no time, because no one will go there to eat, and there will be death threats against you from the fanatics.  :D ;D  If you are so keen on protecting your teddy bears, why don't you start a campaign to stop hunting bears in BC and see if the Canadian hunters will back you up.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:42:51 PM by liketofish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »

Western media is bashing Chinese tradition again, how dare they to be so racist? There's nothing wrong with this at all. ::)

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/50552/alarming+sight+thousands+of+shark+fins+drying+on+hong+kong+rooftop/

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »

Western media is bashing Chinese tradition again, how dare they to be so racist? There's nothing wrong with this at all. ::)

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/50552/alarming+sight+thousands+of+shark+fins+drying+on+hong+kong+rooftop/

Looks delicious. I wonder how many fishermen families those Fins will be feeding..... since most of those fins go to China, might want to ban  shark fin there instead of in municipalities in Canada that dont even sell Shark Fin. 0 Sharks saved... keep up the good work people!

Might want to focus banning the barbaric act of killing dolphins, something is definetley wrong when people from developed nations like Denmark and Japan are slaughtering life for fun!
http://rense.com/general88/barb.htm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_x6TMwsAARSg/TEElRu5ewHI/AAAAAAAADLY/TLQt_baPwWI/s1600/dolphins-beink-illed-in-japon%5B1%5D.jpg

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:24:53 AM by Ed »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »

Looks delicious.

Yep, keep trolling. Any intelligent being can see that you've already discredit yourself by going from a post like this to what you have written in the last few pages.

See ya, your participation on this discussion forum is no longer welcome.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:07:57 PM by Rodney »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »

Looks delicious. I wonder how many fishermen families those Fins will be feeding..... since most of those fins go to China, might want to ban  shark fin there instead of in municipalities in Canada that dont even sell Shark Fin. 0 Sharks saved... keep up the good work people!

Might want to focus banning the barbaric act of killing dolphins, something is definetley wrong when people from developed nations like Denmark and Japan are slaughtering life for fun!
http://rense.com/general88/barb.htm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_x6TMwsAARSg/TEElRu5ewHI/AAAAAAAADLY/TLQt_baPwWI/s1600/dolphins-beink-illed-in-japon%5B1%5D.jpg

Ed, your comments say much more about you than they do the subject.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »

Dave

• Old Timer

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »

Thank you Rod. You have hit the nail on the head. It seems that our media these days are making the news rather than reporting the news.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2013, 06:28:55 AM »

Thank you Sir Rod. After spending the last week with a very sick son at Children's Hospital, a little sunshine is a very welcome thing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:33:42 AM by Novabonker »
http://